AuthorTopic: Some game illustrations  (Read 9205 times)

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Some game illustrations

on: September 14, 2013, 04:11:15 pm
Hello!
I'm working on a series of pixel art with the same resolution and color count (24). I've finished two of them so far, but I'd be happy to improve these based on your critique!
I'm currently working on the third piece and I'll upload it once I made a bit more progress on it.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Some game illustrations

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 05:16:46 pm
Ah, I've seen the right one on PJ :) I'll stick to feedback on just that, as I'm not usually very good with crits. First things I noticed were the highlights on the wooden part of the window frame. They contrast a lot with the base part of the wood, so you should tone them down. Another thing with the window: it looks like it has no glass at all! I'd try increasing the brightness of the outside stuff slightly, or add some reflections from the lights of the room. Last thing: the whole atmosphere is rather cold, due to the pure or blue-ish grays. Maybe you can bring in some color. Maybe give the woody stuff around the window some new paint.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 05:44:20 pm
Ah, I've seen the right one on PJ :) I'll stick to feedback on just that, as I'm not usually very good with crits. First things I noticed were the highlights on the wooden part of the window frame. They contrast a lot with the base part of the wood, so you should tone them down. Another thing with the window: it looks like it has no glass at all! I'd try increasing the brightness of the outside stuff slightly, or add some reflections from the lights of the room. Last thing: the whole atmosphere is rather cold, due to the pure or blue-ish grays. Maybe you can bring in some color. Maybe give the woody stuff around the window some new paint.
Thanks a lot for the critique!
There are two reasons why I'm using those highlights on the window frame. One being that she's supposed to sit close to a TV which works as a light source and the other being that it looks rather flat without it. Here is an older version. Do you think it looks better?
Right, reflections. I should have done some of that, thanks. Those diagonal things are supposed to be imperfections in the glass (or rain?)

The atmosphere is supposed to be cold though. As the title may suggest, it's hopefully going to be used in a game. And something bad is about to happen. : )

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:57:09 pm
A couple of stuff I noticed:

First illustration, the figure doesn't appear to be balanced. Either the sword is literally weightless or you inconveniently cropped the figure so you can't feel the illusion of weight. Perspective also comes off as odd; the buildings to me has put the horizon line right above her head but the figure comes off to be side-view instead of from-above.

Second illustration, I think there could be an approach to wood texture that doesn't depend on pixel dots since that creates a dirty look that doesn't quite with with how cleanly pixelled everything else is. The dots also creates a lot of visual weight on the wood texture which is probably not what you want necessarily.

I'm personally spending quite a bit of time learning anatomy and drawing figures into perspective, so I'm learning as well.  :lol:

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 06:09:29 pm
There are two reasons why I'm using those highlights on the window frame. One being that she's supposed to sit close to a TV which works as a light source and the other being that it looks rather flat without it. Here is an older version. Do you think it looks better?

Ah, I was afraid my words could be mistaken :yell: I was talking about the other wood stuff next to the window. Here's a quick and dirty edit:
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 08:26:16 pm
A couple of stuff I noticed:

First illustration, the figure doesn't appear to be balanced. Either the sword is literally weightless or you inconveniently cropped the figure so you can't feel the illusion of weight. Perspective also comes off as odd; the buildings to me has put the horizon line right above her head but the figure comes off to be side-view instead of from-above.

Second illustration, I think there could be an approach to wood texture that doesn't depend on pixel dots since that creates a dirty look that doesn't quite with with how cleanly pixelled everything else is. The dots also creates a lot of visual weight on the wood texture which is probably not what you want necessarily.

I'm personally spending quite a bit of time learning anatomy and drawing figures into perspective, so I'm learning as well.  :lol:
Sorry, I didn't get the balance part. Could you explain further?
Also she's standing on a balcony/terrace (see the railing).

I was thinking the way I went with the wood would add to the surrealistic stuff going on with the sky, but I might follow your advice and see if it turns out better. : ) Thanks for the critique.

Ah, I was afraid my words could be mistaken :yell: I was talking about the other wood stuff next to the window. Here's a quick and dirty edit:

Ah, could as well be me, English isn't my first language. Anyway, I suppose your edit makes sense. I think I'll go with something in between though. Thanks!

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 09:59:20 pm
I sketched the balance thing; drew the sword in closer to the body, properly gripped it with the lower hand, and broadened her stance by sticking out her right leg to put the (presumably) heavy sword nearer her centre of gravity. Try drawing a line down the centre of a figure and balancing the sides that way and also act out the pose yourself as well as consulting reference to get a feel for what would be natural/comfortable :y:.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:03:57 pm by Facet »

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 10:43:32 pm
I sketched the balance thing; drew the sword in closer to the body, properly gripped it with the lower hand, and broadened her stance by sticking out her right leg to put the (presumably) heavy sword nearer her centre of gravity. Try drawing a line down the centre of a figure and balancing the sides that way and also act out the pose yourself as well as consulting reference to get a feel for what would be natural/comfortable :y:.

Ah I see now, thanks. I'm well aware that you can't hold heavy stuff too far from your center of gravity for too long, however, as a matter of fact I did pose with an actual sword (19th century saber to be exact, which is longer and heavier than this sword would be). It wasn't hard at all.
Also this new pose doesn't look half as daring/threatening/offensive as the old one.
I'm curious about your other edits by the way. I suppose the wall behind her is just a quick reparation after moving things around? But what about the ornament on the top of the tower?

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 11:19:21 pm
as a matter of fact I did pose with an actual sword (19th century saber to be exact, which is longer and heavier than this sword would be). It wasn't hard at all.
:lol: Ah well, I can only say that it looks awkward to me! The only way I can pantomime holding a sword completely vertically like that is closer in, arms bent; in order to have both forearms straight like that with the shoulders back, one arm would to be a fair bit longer than the other.

Possibly lack of threat is the expression? I got the feeling that it was more light-hearted, sorry. Maybe sword raised at an angle; as if to strike, or pointed at the viewer would work better. The sparkly bit up top I just found distracting; competing with the sword highlight as well as the moon; actually I reckon putting the moon behind the tip of the tower would be a nice solution.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:20:55 pm by Facet »

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 11:38:02 pm
as a matter of fact I did pose with an actual sword (19th century saber to be exact, which is longer and heavier than this sword would be). It wasn't hard at all.
:lol: Ah well, I can only say that it looks awkward to me! The only way I can pantomime holding a sword completely vertically like that is closer in, arms bent; in order to have both forearms straight like that with the shoulders back, one arm would to be a fair bit longer than the other.

Possibly lack of threat is the expression? I got the feeling that it was more light-hearted, sorry. Maybe sword raised at an angle; as if to strike, or pointed at the viewer would work better. The sparkly bit up top I just found distracting; competing with the sword highlight as well as the moon; actually I reckon putting the moon behind the tip of the tower would be a nice solution.
Hmm. As far as I can remember this is pretty much the exact pose I pulled off. I'll have to double check tomorrow though (it's late and I'd wake people up, no mirrors in my room). I also imagine the sword to be (very) slightly tilted backwards (tip of the blade towards the background and the pommel towards the viewer).

Hah, no worries. I quite like that expression anyway. : D It does however not fit this situation very well. In any case, I really appreciate the critique and effort you put in helping out!