AuthorTopic: Some game illustrations  (Read 9102 times)

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Re: Some game illustrations

Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 07:06:26 pm
I'm planning to widen all three pictures a bit. Changing the pose on the first picture created a composition issue and I don't want to center her entirely, nor do I want to flip things.
And as you say, the carriage is cramped on this piece.
I don't personally find the realism to be a problem. I think that's what it's usually like when it comes to old people in these Japanese styles. I could make the eyes bigger like they initially were if that really makes things better. You got a good point about the background, I'll try to adjust the contrast and make it more monotone overall. I haven't added any highlights yet either.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:10:21 pm by Siskan »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 08:06:11 pm
Mostly going off of Facet's comments

It's definitely worth trying out a few variations of the guys face.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 08:24:50 pm
Sure, I'll play around a bit. Like the others, these are characters with backgrounds and personalities which is what I based the current looks on. The one to the right looks most interesting in that regard.

Also a few words on how they are going to be used. They aren't meant to be displayed next to each other or anything like that, so it isn't that important that they share all of these features. The characters are already pictured in different sizes and so on anyway. They aren't even in the same "dimension" as a matter of fact, well you probably guessed so already.
Also, the carriage lacks horses, which is a message I want to deliver in this piece (I know his head was covering that part, but as I said I was planning to widen these later on and then move it to the left).

Edit: I liked that mustache so I made a very similar one. I'll see if I can tweak his face some, but I tried tons of looks when I got started, and ended up with this (though he changed further along the way). So this already seems to be what I want. But I will experiment some more and see what happens.

Edit 2: Some work with the background. I messed up the perspective by turning the sky into a lake. I'll fix that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 10:56:49 pm by Siskan »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 12:31:25 am
They aren't meant to be displayed next to each other or anything like that, so it isn't that important that they share all of these features. The characters are already pictured in different sizes and so on anyway. They aren't even in the same "dimension" as a matter of fact, well you probably guessed so already.
Surely you're aiming for a consistent aesthetic though? I did think maybe you were differentiating two different worlds but horse cab guy seemed consistent with sword girl's period fantasy thing? I was going to have crack at this card but gave up 'cos my attempts at old anime faces looked ridiculous :P.

I had a go at the things I mentioned of the previous instead (maybe you're sick of that one now though! :-X), namely those mismatched arms; I shortened the near and made more room for the far by pulling it out and back. The new foreshortened sword looked more like a taper from the hilt to me; it would have been pretty huge and the character itself is in much shallower space.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:41:32 am by Facet »

Offline Siskan

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 04:58:17 pm
I needed a break from all of them actually! : D But I'm going to work on them all again, so  I appreciate that you took your time. It all makes sense too, so I'll go ahead and  make the necessary adjustments.

I've also been working on the postman today. I decided to let the carriage play its part in a separate animation I'll do later, so there will be more focus on the character on this piece now (as someone proposed before).

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 20, 2013, 10:11:08 pm
You need to lower the horizon line, otherwise the person is in a different perspective then the background.