AuthorTopic: Music!  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Music!

on: September 12, 2013, 08:48:38 am
Music is essential to any game!

Yamaha keyboards got a lot of instruments to choose from, and I got a word document with all the keys of over 40 scales major/minor.

So post here and ask for an improv of any scale/key, and I will post upon your request either an .mp3 of your chosen quality (ready to go), or a .mus file(sheet music).  If your not specific, don't expect what you're asking for to sound like what you had in your head.  You can't ask someone to draw a skull for you and expect it to turn out exactly like you thought it, you'd have to give dimensions, color pallettes, and an example to get it exact..  Here's a start, for those of you who aren't in the music loop:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_and_emotion

:)

I play guitar too! 

I'm pretty good at both.  I can play Song of Healing, Song of Storms, Serenade of Water, for the most part Zelda stuff on piano.  For guitar, I play Angel of Death, Hammer Smashed Face, Raining Blood, mostly Death/Thrash Metal.  I play both instruments many hours a day, to the point of carpal tunnel on cold days :(.  It is a lifestyle I am accustomed to.

I use audacity to edit my files, so if you have, idk, let's say a track that needs a beat, or a beat that needs a track, you can send me the sound file, and I can add onto it in audacity.

Music is essential to any game, and I love this community and thought I'd give out some nice improvisations to some nice people.  No license, the song I make for you is yours for free :)

I will help in the order of posted requests, no saying how many I will complete.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 09:26:28 am by Zintendo »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Music!

Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:32:58 am
Hey!

I appreciate musicians because they understand how music is constructed - something that's always baffled me. And music, constructed well, can be incredibly powerful. And like you point out - music is indeed essential in games.

Gotta like your range in musical experience - from Cannibal Corpse to Zelda soundtracks, haha. Nice.

. . .
So post here and ask for an improv of any scale/key . . .

To be honest, I don't know what that means. But it sounds like you're looking for practice in composing. I'm in the early stages of a long-term game dev project at this time. We plan on some quality bgm's. We'll be creating some progressive tracks (not me, I suck at music). So, I suggest that - something progressive. Something that starts out slowly, calmly, but builds into something louder, more serious, maybe even violent. Goes out with a bang at the end. If synched to a game, you might imagine the protagonist in level 1, eventually reaching the end boss and defeating him/it at the end. As for the scale or key . . . no idea. Start out high-pitched and end with bassy notes . . ? oy . . .

Orrrrrrr, maybe I've misunderstood this thread's intent.

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 11:56:46 pm
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/v6734rrts9kfqd4,m1azdd7qskcv6pr,1hexbopse5x4q8n,75peea55txee8ww,mmuh22qk88f548a,8ow79zo9jf9ko/shared

Behold The Sinister Locrian Mode!

5 recordings on there, just kinda winged it.  One of them should sound completely emotionally different from the rest, that is one of the Pentatonic Scales.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 12:18:37 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline r4c7

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 12:38:54 am
Orrrrrrr, maybe I've misunderstood this thread's intent.
I think you get the gist of it.
On your musical idea, makes sense even if it isn't the most musically worded, but maybe you should wait a bit before adding music because the ways music is put into a game can all be very different and hard to work with (I suggest songs that loop).

I also mess around with music, although I don't consider myself good enough to accept work. Maybe something to add would be your musical style? I know you mentioned Metal, but on the keyboard do you play jazzy, classical, or just rock? I love the idea of this anyway.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 01:27:01 am
Haha nice. Keep it up!

@r4c7    Yep, music will be one of the last tasks.

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 06:24:32 pm
The music I posted already is up for grabs everybody.  I really tried with the one titled 'the best beast' it's worth a listen if nothing else.

If you like the feel to a certain track, link me to it (YouTube).  I can disassemble it and produce an entirely new song, same progression and key, and on your command, any kind of tweak you want.

...on a side note.  I can speed up/slow down/mix more instruments/add a beat/up the quality on any Of the recordings I posted so far!

I'm surprised nobody is taking advantage of this.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 06:26:13 pm by Zintendo »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 07:15:24 am
Well, I don't think anyone really has a need this fulfills, per sé. Not just as one-off's.

Here's an idea, if you haven't already thought of it  - hook with someone and do their game's music. Look in here.