AuthorTopic: (WIP) Newbie Trying To Pixel An Island  (Read 33215 times)

Offline Wallie988

• View Profile

Re: Newbie Trying To Pixel An Island

Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013, 02:40:33 am
@FRAWG
Thanks! How about this?

I'm kind of looking for a more "cliffy" structure, but I disfigured the cylinders a bit. :3
Also, I'm kind of looking for a way to add a 3rd waterfall at the top - is there a way to do this?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: October 12, 2013, 05:33:07 am
Is this the centre of the flower?
It has a a weird tilt down at the front of the bottom which looks like all the water would just fall straight off.
And you should try offsetting the waterfall of each layer left and right a bit different to each other instead of the obvious symmetrical vertical line running down the centre.

I would increase your canvas and redraw this sketchily in the same image as the other island to keep consistency and keep it all in perspective.
At the same time I think you should block in the rough shapes of the other petals if you are planning to do them later.
Being able to see all the elements in relation to each other is really going to help you plan out ideas for where everything goes.
And working around the image to build it up rather than spending forever detailing one particular part is going to make everything look more consistent.
Later you can still choose to crop certain parts of the larger image if you want to display separately.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 05:42:25 am by Decroded »

Offline Wallie988

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: October 12, 2013, 01:38:06 pm
@decroded
Here it is:

Yeah, I know there's a really weird line separating the center from the top petal; that's just so I won't mix up the two. I'll get rid of it soon. :3

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #43 on: October 12, 2013, 01:49:38 pm
This is not drawn in perspective at all. Maybe you should learn about perspective, and decide from witch perspective you want to view this islands.
http://sashas.deviantart.com/art/The-Perspective-Tutorial-94166651  Example tutorial. :)

Offline Wallie988

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: October 12, 2013, 11:24:53 pm
@HarveyDentMustDie
Thank, I figured there'd be some structural issues, but really, as tong as the center and the bottom left petal are fine, the rest can be fixed easily...

Offline Wallie988

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: October 14, 2013, 01:46:02 am
@HarveyDentMustDie
Ok, how's this:

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #46 on: October 14, 2013, 09:05:11 am
I was thinking more something like this.

There still something weird about center island, and top left beach in finished island.

Offline Wallie988

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: October 14, 2013, 01:11:38 pm
@HarveyDentMustDie
How about this?

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: October 14, 2013, 02:47:18 pm
Couple things to demonstrate why it's laying out weird:

This is a quick (super quick, my lines are awful) idea of the lines each of your shapes are implying as far as perspective goes. See how some of the shapes just don't adhere to the same line of sight? Your center island is definitely a point of contention here when it comes to perspective because it's sitting more flat instead of at the angle that the first petal sits.

(stars, because it's in spaaaace!  :lol:)
Another way to look at it is to shrink it down and toss it on a sphere because technically that's what you're trying to imply for your land mass, I used HarvyDentMustDie's version to contrast and give you an idea of how it adheres to the perspective.

I hope this helps to illustrate the idea a little better, sorry some of it is a bit off!
<3

Offline Wallie988

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: October 14, 2013, 09:27:10 pm
@Wanyo
Thanks, that helps! But I might need to keep the top petal a tiny bit longer so it's easier to click once I turn the whole thing into an image map. :3
How's this?:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:35:26 am by Wallie988 »