AuthorTopic: Pixel Art in Flash  (Read 2442 times)

AcKazaam

Pixel Art in Flash

on: June 19, 2007, 03:46:26 pm
Hi there, I am new here.

I have done a little pixel art animation with a man walking out of a train n an isometric view. And I have imported and animated it in flash. What happened was when I export the animation as SWF, in high quality mode the animation is bouncy, but it looks fine in low quality mode. Anyone encounter similar problems? Any solutions?

Thanks a lot

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Art in Flash

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 08:43:22 pm
Set all the coordinates to translate in full pixels rather than decimals.

By default flash puts things into coordinates like X: 10.4532543895y32 Y:10.434389257 (the coordinate will show up in the lower left bar)
Manually write in the coordinate for the sprites and in actionscript use full pixel for movement and if you use timeline effects you have to count that the movement is in pixels and that it doesn't go to decimal pixel coordinates at any frame.

For example a 10 frame movement has to be 10/20/30 and so on pixels or it will end up in weird coordinates and fudge up the sprite.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: Pixel Art in Flash

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 08:47:53 pm
i set a little thing that overrides the equivalent of onupdate() or ondraw() or whatever they have, that snaps the coordinates to full pixels.  A lot of the time for good smooth movement you're going to want to separately store the full float coords though, so your motion computations don't get fudged when you snap to int every frame ;)