AuthorTopic: Color Fruits [C+C]  (Read 6893 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Color Fruits [C+C]

Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 05:36:58 am
I was refering to was the bands of colour in the gradient.
Maybe I shouldnt call it banding to avoid confusion?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 11:01:23 am
^ I was actually addressing NeithR, although I did find your use of the word 'banding' potentially confusing -- perhaps NeithR's use of the word 'banding' was in response to your use?
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline NeithR

• VsioS
    • neithr.x
    • pixeljoint.com/p/62966.htm
    • xothex
    • neithr
    • vsio.stitched
    • View Profile
    • NeithR's

Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 02:21:13 pm
Thanks for the feedbacks again :).

@Decroded:
Thank you, I didn't realize that it was Mario-style xD.
Btw, I have read the Cluster Study Thread (and also read Ramblethread which was in that thread :D) and Cyangmou's post. Took several hours to read and understanding more of them all and I think it is really useful to me :). So, I finally tried it to remove the outline and tried to use clusters. The shape is still defined well even without outline xD.

@Ai:
Thanks for the link. I read that link sometimes xD. Well, sometimes I forgot something from there too. Thanks for again. About banding, yes I forgot what it was (I thought it was the edge of changing color) xD. I also removed the the banding on the big orange.

====
So, here is the edited version again which the banding is removed from the orange, the outline is also removed (only use clusters for defining the shape), and tried to avoid the banding based on how I understand after reading all the link and applied to the revised drawing :) :
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:22:49 pm by NeithR »
My Pixel Art Portfolio
My Pixel Art Game Assets: itch, GDM

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 06:34:20 am
the outline is also removed (only use clusters for defining the shape)
Thats good and I think it looks better without so many outlines.
Please don't misunderstand me though, I'm not saying all outlines are bad.
Sometimes they are useful as a separator where for example you can't control the background some sprite is shown against.
Generally you would avoid outlines on background art and tiles, but perhaps consider them on sprites (especially when you can't control the background).
It doesn't always need to be a solid line, sometimes its good to skip the odd pixel where you might not even want some part to stand out too much.
This is by no means THE way to do pixel art but I'm finding it useful for my purposes.

About banding, yes I forgot what it was (I thought it was the edge of changing color) xD.
That was my bad to confuse you there.
Banding seems to have 2 meanings but the much more common usage is what Ai is explaining.
Perhaps there is some exclusive term for bands of colour (maybe I'll just call it that).

Not really happy with the sword but there you go.
Started off some alternative style of grass which I've been experimenting with lately.
Also messed with the blood and monitor a little.

Offline NeithR

• VsioS
    • neithr.x
    • pixeljoint.com/p/62966.htm
    • xothex
    • neithr
    • vsio.stitched
    • View Profile
    • NeithR's

Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 06:14:45 am
Thats good and I think it looks better without so many outlines.
Please don't misunderstand me though, I'm not saying all outlines are bad.
Sometimes they are useful as a separator where for example you can't control the background some sprite is shown against.
Generally you would avoid outlines on background art and tiles, but perhaps consider them on sprites (especially when you can't control the background).
It doesn't always need to be a solid line, sometimes its good to skip the odd pixel where you might not even want some part to stand out too much.
This is by no means THE way to do pixel art but I'm finding it useful for my purposes.
@Decroded:
Thanks for the feedback again :).
Yes, I think some are good without outline. I saw it in a lot of games :).
I think it is good too for very small object.

That was my bad to confuse you there.
Banding seems to have 2 meanings but the much more common usage is what Ai is explaining.
Perhaps there is some exclusive term for bands of colour (maybe I'll just call it that).

That's okay because I understand what context you mean on the previous post :)
So, about the term, maybe "Color Border"? :)

Not really happy with the sword but there you go.
Started off some alternative style of grass which I've been experimenting with lately.
Also messed with the blood and monitor a little.
Awesome :D.
Btw, I forgot to tell, the plant I draw is tentacles plant.
So, I modified mine again. Sorry if a bit similar especially for the middle picture since I am curious about the antialiasing. When I tried antialiasing, the letter looks like really curved ^^;. I also modified the color again and the sword.

Btw, I draw something again using cluster again :D.

(The original pencil lineart reference is not by me. See http://fav.me/d6mqwva in the desc for the source of reference)
My Pixel Art Portfolio
My Pixel Art Game Assets: itch, GDM

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 09:19:32 am
Do you mean 'transition' / 'color transition', which is already in use?

However you build the picture, it's important to avoid those isolated single pixels; they always look like noise. For example you have these showing up on the clothes, and it makes those edges feel like they are made of rock (fine gravel or granite). Also on the skin, which is even more noticeable.

An example edit:

(I certainly have not done a comprehensive job here -- only fixed up the areas that were most noticeable to me. Also a few lighting adjustments.)

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.