AuthorTopic: 'Boring' Buttons - they look ok?  (Read 6911 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: 'Boring' Buttons - they look ok?

Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 07:45:08 pm
The overall shape of the game make me think about a touchscreen pad/phone device. If that's the case, and if the device has common controls, it might be a good idea to use those generic controls for suspend/resume, as you're already one step out of the game.

If not, and unless you have a true desire to build an aqua-like button on your game development time, I'd suggest you to use some game-related element rather than a button. How about an envelope for "resume", a rope roller or a map for "select level", etc?

Otherwise, Decroded's advice about a secondary lightsource and dropping of dithering is indeed a step into the right direction.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:52:53 pm by PypeBros »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 07:22:34 am
if the device has common controls, it might be a good idea to use those generic controls
I dunno.
Its good to follow standard GUI style but I think system buttons are so boring and can really break the theme of a game.

How about an envelope for "resume", a rope roller or a map for "select level", etc?
I'm not very smart, can you explain the envelope thing?
I get confused easily so I generally like GUI's to be really obvious and I can't stand ambiguities.
I think this is even more important in the easy-come-easy-go casual gaming market.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 09:34:50 am
^ I'm pretty sure Pypebros is talking about replacing the button with an icon. Personally I think this is a good idea. In that case I would prefer it if there was also text next to it.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 11:03:15 pm
Yeah i know.
Icons are good when its clear what they mean, especially when overlayed on the playable area.
the map button isnt bad but I would avoid pressing an envelope in case it wanted to scam my email or something.
but if its a menu then text on buttons is generally better because we have time to stop and read.
and maybe place icons out of the menu like a back arrow instead of "main menu".

Thats my opinion.
maybe we can see some screenshots where the buttons would be used.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 08:41:07 am by Decroded »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 12:47:13 pm
I had in mind ...
(with a real image of an envelope, not mere wireframe)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 02:02:27 pm
Obviously there's not many UI/UX experts here, try seeking help on a design forum or something more suited to this exact problem. Some general things to consider when it comes to buttons and UI: 

Shape,
Size,
Rendering,
Font,
Icon

Shape - you're using a classic rounded lozenge shape, that's fine - does the job, doesn't say much about your game, maybe that it's cute, soft etc. Be more consistent though, the top left counter thing has more flattened round corners instead of full circular ones. A stylised envelope shape might say something more about your game  but might be tricky (remember that's not an 'icon', it's the button itself, icons are for communicating function like your back and pause buttons).

Size - remember hierarchy (main options big), don't have anything small and fiddly - especially on a touch screen.

Rendering - generally want buttons to look inviting to press down, should be immediately obvious, the shinier ones work for this, I'd do it cleaner, maybe a border etc. Colour is important, try and make consistent and meaningful choices (ie. confirm / cancel being different colours).  Just cos your game is pixel art, doesn't mean your UI has to be btw, there's a benefit in vector art for this kinda stuff if you're targeting different screen sizes. 

Font - this is what's killing you, that font is atrocious.  Say something about the game that is deeper than "This is retro cos it's made of squares".  Again make consistent and meaningful choices, keep to as few fonts as possible over your whole game. 

Icons - Current thinking is abstract associations are 'bad' (eg. the once commonplace floppy-disk), but it's up to you if you think there's a communication benefit.  Some icons are more recognisable than others (I don't like X as it can mean close or delete, tick can mean confirm or done etc etc. Make sure there's accompanying text when there's any ambiguity). FontAwesome has some nice one-colour icons, free to use.