AuthorTopic: Justin Bailey Pin up  (Read 6969 times)

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Justin Bailey Pin up

on: September 06, 2013, 11:29:36 am
I recently started on a pin up of Metroid's Samus in her "Justin Bailey" attire working with nothing but her original palette.
Legs are very WIP, still a sketch more or less.
My main concern is the dithering as it feels like I'm not using it correctly.

Used  http://senshistock.deviantart.com/art/Sailor-Gun-17-101580279  as a reference

Any C+C would be appreciated.

Offline numlock

• View Profile
    • my blog

Re: Justin Bailey Pin up

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:10:43 pm
her feet look bit weird in the pic imo, I tried to make something but got sleepy, also used one more color but it might look better without all that shading, I think zero suit would work beter with that pose, maybe I'll try making it with the zero suit

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 12:59:52 am
Yours looks a bit stocky and unnatural to me, I think because you're missing a few key angles from your reference. Namely, the curvature of the spine and the angle of the jaw. You should focus on the silhouette reading correctly before you do too much with the shading.

It's very sloppy, but I think the idea comes across. You could also use some tightening of the forms on the arms and such, which I didn't address in my edit.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 02:23:36 am
The reference is a touch stocky so try to exhagerate features.
It cant hurt to shorten the spine and elongate the legs a bit out of proportion.

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 08:07:26 am
Thank you for the feedback!
I'm really digging numlock's edit, I took a bit of inspiration from it as well.

Working towards a leaner look  as the previous was as stated before, stocky.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:28:56 pm

Do yourself a huge favour and forget about outlines, try to work with forms/shapes not lines. It will feel a little uncomfortable at first, but you'll get the hang of it. Try drawing the solid silhouette of your char first and then add details after

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 11:36:24 pm
I see a lot of motion in your reference picture that I don't see reflected in your rendition.

In your picture her left shoulder is down below her right, her feet are both firmly planted on the ground, and she's leaning slightly away from us.

In your reference her left shoulder is up, her left heel is raised ready to pin her around, and she's leaning towards us.

Here's an edit trying to capture that motion.

I used this action line as a guide for where to and what angle to place her limbs.

You've got some issues with her proportions. Her shoulders are too small, her butt's too big, and a few other little things. What I usually do to keep the proportions on target (or get them to the target) is look at how the different parts of the image line up with one another. For example, her left palm lines up perfectly with the middle of her butt, and the back of her hand would be touching her heel if they were at the same height. You can also compare different sizes this way; her left arm including her shoulder and hand is about as long, in the image, as her left leg including her foot all the way up to right below her but. Doing little checks like that while you're still in the beginning phases of the picture—and throughout the entire process—will save you a zillion bottles of aspirin.

I'm sensing a little bit of symbolism in certain parts of your picture too. Mainly her face and her spine. Try to draw the shadow that her spine creates instead of the spine itself. That's sometimes a very subtle difference, but it becomes incredibly valuable when drawing strange poses or lighting. The same goes or everything else you might be tempted to abstract into a symbol. I really think that's what separates an artist from a person with a pencil and paper.

That's about all I have. I hope something in here is useful to you!

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:39:21 pm
It breaks the goal of your image but I thought it might be fun to pull some colors from the the terrain and enemies.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:28:12 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 11:30:54 pm
I thought IvanX's second face edit was pretty spot on myself. It looks like something from Starzinger or the early 80's anime era. Long nose ridge, narrow eyes.

Rough ideas: Use panel lines to sculpt suit. Trunky 80's boots? Propped a leg up for no particular reason. Her original hair color is brunette. Green is with Varia.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 08:45:09 am
I found arne's edit disturbingly unarnelike.