AuthorTopic: What if the kids of pixel art didn't get pixel help?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

What if the kids of pixel art didn't get pixel help?

on: September 04, 2013, 11:00:52 pm
Edit: Opinions are not facts

Some pixel humor, some of you probably already check this out.  It is a gem among the internet for pixel artists.

http://www.superwalrusland.com/ohr/

What is it??:

The link is to a set of online magazines that are based on this so called OHR engine.  OHR is, in my opinion, a stunted version of game development, pretty much drag and drop the sprites into a template of choice and make your game...

Some of these games are rediculously funny.  They wouldn't be, normally, I mean, but some of them are simply either impossible to beat, or as easy as holding the spacebar for every fight for 20 minutes of gameplay.  But they get reviewed.  Angry Video Game Nerd is cool and all, but he only covers retro hits (and misses).

Also compare to game informer.. Full of advertisements and games you don't have the money for.  With HamsterSpeak, you get these articles written without ratings, without bias.. Without corporate payoffs for good/bad reviews.  They were just told to give fair reviews, regardless of their personal opinions.. On the games we care about, games based around spriting techniques.  Not only is every magazine there, in your face loads quick, but if and when you find a game that your like, 'hey, I would like to play that game,' you can play it on the internet for free!  ******* cool!

MOVING ONWARDS!!!

http://superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue50/index.html

Click the link titled 'Seige of Gondor' after clicking the above html link.  It is pretty much what I look for when I go through these articles.  Games that had some real inspiration (In this case, lord of the rings), but made by somebody without enough common sense to run his ideas and artwork by professionals for an upgrade to a higher spectrum of online games.  This is what makes it awesome:  The HamsterSpeak magazine reviewers gives these games honest reviews!  I mean, normally, you get 'This game sucks, blah blah blah, no depth.' etc.  But these guys, omg.  In one of them, This dude finds the worst games he can, literally unplayable  :yell:dingleberries :yell: of the internet, and gives them in depth reviews of pros and cons.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 11:59:33 pm by Zintendo »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: What if the kids of pixel art didn't get pixel help?

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 11:26:02 pm
Are you aware that many of the OHRRPGCE regulars are also Pixelation users?

I refer you to rule 1 of Pixelation. And perhaps also the rather antiquated idea of 'journalistic integrity'.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 11:33:47 pm
how do you delete thread

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 11:41:41 pm
There's no need to delete the thread IMO; if you just edited it to stick to the facts and avoid gratuitous mudslinging, your post would be fine.

But if you really want to delete this thread, I think you could try using the 'report' option on the original post.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:50:59 pm
only mods can delete threads.
If you would like this thread deleted say so here or send me a pm.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1