AuthorTopic: New to pixel art, new to art in general! Need some criticism.  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Pwnography

• View Profile
I'm building a mod for a game (Hammerwatch.com) and this is an example of one of the sprites I've made for the horror-theme. Its 16-32bit sprites in 8 directions, idle animation, walking(flying) animation, and attack animation. In this case the attack animation is only two frames from the move animation to flap its wings as it casts a spell using other sprites for effects, etc. I need some criticism and or help if anyone is willing to give it :D

more info: I hand drew (with my mouse) using photoshop. just kinda winged it! (pun intended)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:47:53 pm by Pwnography »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: New to pixel art, new to art in general! Need some criticism.

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 02:16:23 pm
Looks like you're using soft edged brushes which makes everything blurry.
That's fine more making other kind of digital art including more hi-res sprites and stuff but thats just not what pixel art is about.

Keep your colour count down.
In Photoshop, use the Pencil too instead of Brush.
Generally only work with 100% flow and opacity.
Turn off anti-aliasing and set Tolerance to 0 in all your tools such as Magic Wand and Paint Bucket.

If you're using layers, occasionally set Image - Mode - Indexed Color, then Image - Mode - Color Table.
This allows you to see exactly all colours in your image (unless its more than 256 which it shouldn't be.
It will flatten your image though so you can just undo it.

Offline Pwnography

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 02:49:16 pm
Nope, not sure what you mean by that I kinda just filled it in pixel by pixel and didn't use opacity on this model. I used opacity on the ghosts and their animations because they fade out and disappear :D
Also I hate the paintbrush i had to use pencil to fill in each pixel :P

This on might be blurry on some poses only because I've used the rotate tool because Im a cheater. This lil thumbnail looks blurry when I zoom in on it but I can post a resized one that shows the square pixels if that helps?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 02:52:13 pm by Pwnography »

Offline PixyKat

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 12:20:27 am
When using the transform tools in photoshop, I found it works best if you set the blending to "Nearest Neighbor" it cut all the fuzzies out. Also what did you save the image as? If it's a jpg that could explain the blurry look. png is what I've been saving my pixel art as.

(Sorry I couldn't be a ton of help, I'm new to spriting too)

Offline Pwnography

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 01:07:57 am
Thanks both of you for the tips! That's a good idea I should try to use the nearest one like you said. It is saved as a .png, the game uses .png and .png is easier for transparency too I've heard.

Offline PixyKat

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 01:20:41 am
No problem. I had to learn a few tricks in Photoshop when I started pixel art (like changing the eraser to pencil mode, setting up my file to have a "preview" window, etc)

Offline Pwnography

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 01:59:08 pm
im googling those now  ;D

Offline PixyKat

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 06:35:26 pm
Sorry I should have explained how to set those up  :blind:
At least I can give you another tip?

If you find a color that your working on isn't quite right you can change it everywhere with the paint bucket. Set the tolerance to 0, unchecked anti-alias, and unchecked contiguous to change the color everywhere on that layer.

P.s. the article I saw on making a preview window had it tiled with your project. If you want a free-floating preview you can move around, do window-arrange-new window then on the new tab of your picture go window-arrange-float in window

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 03:47:45 am
I also find it handy to use Magic Wand with Contiguos Off.
Then I press CTRL+H to hide the Marquee.
Now I can paint over a certain colour selectively which is great for changing the general lighting of tiles or something for example.
Usually I do it in 2 or 3 passes depending how many colours in the ramp, then clean it all up manually pixel by pixel.
Its probably cheating but it saves huge time and lets me be more experimental and painterley.