AuthorTopic: Fashion dollie (added another)  (Read 9148 times)

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Re: Fashion dollie (added another)

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 07:52:25 pm
Adding a handlebar mustache would help to add more manliness

And some chest hair.
Very impressive skin tones.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 04:20:52 am
Don't mention it.

I happened to have finished a muscle man base last week

Real people usually dwell somewhere in between the skinny and the muscly, in fact most real people are slightly overweight and all that. Do you want to make naturalist pixel dolls? Probably not. But just saying. I think you should branch out and draw stuff that isn't dolls. They can still be depictions of people, but maybe stylized differently or not at all? I think the format doesn't leave much space for aesthetic interest, regardless of pixel-arty goodness.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 08:15:47 am
The base I mentioned also happens to be quite a departure from my usual style, with much less colors and less gloss: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/wayuki/wayuki-template-brawn02.gif

Also, that large unfinished project I was talking about a few posts earlier? Definitely a departure from my regular style. I didn't really want to post it until it was in a more finished (read: less naked) state , but here ya go anyway: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v19/wayuki/wayuki-angel_wip02.gif

It's true that, as far as pixeling goes, I've pretty much jumped on the style-bandwagon of the dolling community, and it would be good to try different things. In fact, I HAVE been trying different things, as you can see above. Also, I don't feel I'm limiting myself as an artist. Pixeling is just one of the many things I do. I can do digital illustrations. I can model, texture and animate 3d models. I've designed and made clothes and actual real-life dolls.

I have to say... Am I really less original than the others here, because my pixel art so far has been cute, colorful, bigeyed and bigheaded?

My style sticks out like a sore thumb in this community, because nobody else does anything similar and "cute" isn't well liked around here. But this community, like all other art communities, has style-bandwagons all of it's own. Just how many people here limit themselves to teal, brown, gray and slate color schemes? Random dither style? Make practically monochrome pieces and call it unifying? Not saying that it's bad... but have they ever tried to make a cute, colorful, happy pixel scene? Just saying.

I think everybody would benefit from stepping out of the box, not just me.  :-X

Sorry if this opinion makes me unpopular around here, but it's been weighing down my heart for a while.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 08:39:29 am
the VERY large unfished project you have there, is very amazing.  :o

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 10:43:13 am
It's true that, as far as pixeling goes, I've pretty much jumped on the style-bandwagon of the dolling community, and it would be good to try different things. In fact, I HAVE been trying different things, as you can see above. Also, I don't feel I'm limiting myself as an artist. Pixeling is just one of the many things I do. I can do digital illustrations. I can model, texture and animate 3d models. I've designed and made clothes and actual real-life dolls.

That's nice to know. I wasn't talking about being limited as an artist, but about being limited as a pixel artist. It's great to know you're doing all these other things, and I'm sure they're enriching experiences. I was, and still am only concerned, with your pixel art and how it can be bettered, as such is the scope of this place. None of this is a personal attack.

I have to say... Am I really less original than the others here, because my pixel art so far has been cute, colorful, bigeyed and bigheaded?

Originality was never in my scope of critique, technical merit mostly, was. In your case you're very good, but I don't see you becoming any better until you break out -at least momentarily- from the uniform-lit, static dress-up quasi-anime sprite deal. Just to try different things, stylized lighting, mechanical design, a tileset, a foresty scene, something. You'll get a lot better once you get to texture things you don't normally do, in lightining conditions you don't normally do, generally doing things you might not normally do. You misunderstood me about the originality thing, and I get the feeling it was a thing you wanted to get off your chest regardless. I am interested to see you step out of your comfort zone, not make a mad dash towards originality, whatever that may be. My personal stance on originality is that when one does something they understand very well and feel very close to them, and they still take RISKS, it is infused with the things that make them what they are, and is therefore, idiosyncratic and personal and new (in that every different person is new) even if it still is a doll or a sprite for a game or whatnot. I don't find originality to be a matter of form.

My style sticks out like a sore thumb in this community, because nobody else does anything similar and "cute" isn't well liked around here.

We've had people who did predominantly dolls before, I don't think the community's treated them any different or worse.

But this community, like all other art communities, has style-bandwagons all of it's own. Just how many people here limit themselves to teal, brown, gray and slate color schemes? Random dither style? Make practically monochrome pieces and call it unifying? Not saying that it's bad... but have they ever tried to make a cute, colorful, happy pixel scene? Just saying.

I'm sure we would all benefit from drawing dolls or cute happy pixel scenes at some point. I hope we find the time and put the effort into doing this. Tell you what, as a show of good faith I'll do a doll later tonight and a clothing set :)

Sorry if this opinion makes me unpopular around here, but it's been weighing down my heart for a while.

I don't think this opinion will make you unpopular here. Relax.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 10:48:06 am by Helm »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 01:23:18 pm
there are many of us here that do very cute, happy pictures.
kenneth fejer is a great example, unlike most of us his stuff is pouring with wonderful saturation and cartoon imagery.

i cant really say i like the style of most dolls in the first place, but yours show skill that i usually do not see in other dolls.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #16 on: July 15, 2006, 03:01:07 pm
I for one am very glad that we have someone with your inspirations here.

see, here everyone tends to think a picture has to be either expressive and cartoony, or realistic and drab.

you stand somewhere inbetween, your pictures are still very expresive while they attempt to have a realistic shading. you dont really fall for the demoscene craze, and I bet dont really care about game styles.

you dont think in terms of KOF style, SF3, CVS, or SFA style and I think that's really great, we need to get away from such structures.

you know, a while ago I used to welcome very profusely anyone who didnt have the usual gameart backgrounds and came into the board, I guess the reason I didnt do it with you is because I had already seen several Dollers coming in and I'm almost used to it.

But you are a very level minded person and I am glad you are around here, looking at all of our art from a diferent place, I love the fact you think what we do is unnecesarily drab *thumbs up*

please post more critique! I'd love to see the kind of forward thinking you are showing us all in this thread spread all over the board, telling us to not be such pesimist monochromers ;)

C&C

I was just comparing my photo with the guy...he is unnecesarily unexpressive and still looks more effeminate than me, not because I have tougher face features but because some of the details on him make him look like he has a secret fondness for makeup.

Helm's edit does have a boring expression, but that's because he made the guy squint. There's no reason to make him more unexpressive, I dont inhability to express yourself has anything to do with manlyness.

I think the best thing you could do is focusing on manly things that actually add expression

take some smoothness out of his face, subtly mark his cheekbones (maybe a shadow below them)

Take the exagerated shadow out of the surroundings of the eyelashes (how it's strongest at the part light would hit most directly makes it look like eyeshadow) and move it towards his eyebrows (make them a shade darker) thick expressive eyebrows are a very expressive manly feature.

I've been considering wether the pure white specular on his eye is bad or not, because it is usually a symbol of emotional vulnerability very much asociated with women, in model shootings they usually put these strange ring shaped lights just to really make those white speculars on the eyes unrealistically bright and eye catching to make them look femenine, but on the other hand it's not wrong for a guy to look like he has lagrimal glands, just something for you to chew on.

the dark pixel on the contour of the lower lip might be a bit much, a little speculars like what you have there is fine so they look naturally lively and wet but they shouldnt look so much like they're always in kissing position.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 03:41:21 pm by Conceit »

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #17 on: July 15, 2006, 04:44:27 pm
Sorry for ranting, guys. ^_^'
I did get the feeling that in the pixel art community, there's some negativity towards dollers in general... to the point where I felt I wasn't quite being taken seriously because of my dolling background, as if I was somehow less of an artist. But, maybe I've been reading in between the lines too much.

Either way, there was a lot of pent up frustration coming out all at once, unfairly aimed at Helm, who is in fact one of the most open-minded, helpful and supportive people here. The truth is that Helm's posts are an important reason I keep coming back.

So again, I'm sorry, and thanks for putting up with me and supporting me.  :-*

Now back to the little guy... the main idea was to make a series of overly cute, fashionable dolls. For a guy who is big into fashion, I don't think "vain and effeminate with an arrogant little pout" is completely inappropriate.  ;D
It was pretty much intended here. But, I do intend on drawing other types in the future.

PS: Johnny Depp looks good in eyeliner.  *Runs and hides*

@ Helm: I can't wait to see what you come up with.  :D

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 04:57:11 pm

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #19 on: July 15, 2006, 05:02:13 pm