AuthorTopic: GR#138 - PixelArt tutorial illustration and mini dump  (Read 35814 times)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: PixelArt tutorial illustration and mini dump

Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 06:37:05 pm
There's a whole lot of stuff goin' in here, I'm catching up on the tutorial for now (which is excellent!)

I shrunk the guy down to tile size for that overworld map flavour; I'll try and rework that later along with the expanded tilemap and and a colour edit.

My little dude is a dungaree-d botanist. Also, Mondego shot himself rather than face the music and was equally as low-born as Dantes?

Alright, so:

Bit of a counterpoint to some of the more naturalistic edits; I tried to stay pretty faithful for the most part and kept or increased the more symbolic stuff as well the NES-ey saturation & black lines #no palette change #thug life. Gave stuff of higher gameplay importance higher contrast (hue/value) and tooned up textures to differentiate material; rock is angular, water is wavy, foliage bushy etc.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:25:17 pm by Facet »

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 08:22:57 pm
@facet I believe you are referring to Gérard de Villefort, the prosecutor. Fernand Mondego fights Edmond in a duel at the end where he loses.
At least that is what I remember from the movie The Count of Monte Cristo (2002) which is the one I'm referring to.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: September 08, 2013, 08:37:36 pm
hm, I assumed the original plot

*Edited my original post and removed repeats from previous guest examples; that wasn't nearly brief, in too much of a hurry!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:27:59 pm by Facet »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 09:51:01 pm

I had fun playing with this one. Sought a balance between abstract and representational while keeping the color count low and emphasizing the shapes.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 07:40:54 am
Thank you so much Arne! I loved reading trough that and it's exactly what I loved about that sprite. Doing that in sprites IS really hard, and I think you did just enough to make it work.
Sometimes I tend to force it and then shit doesnt look like anything. Even at high resolutions.

Though, isnt that kind of color mixing exactly what pixelart is about at higher resolutions or background images, such as DemoScene people like Cyclone? (I dont really know any other than him) or hell, just good old Helm. I guess we dont get to the point where we have a mesh of 2 or hueshifts working together but we do emphasize it a lot

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #35 on: September 12, 2013, 12:06:59 pm
Simple NESy thing.
Cheated with 8x8 tiles on the trees and rocks for overlap, given that 8x8s are already used for the shore.

EDIT: Minor update.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:04:53 am by surt »

Offline numlock

• View Profile
    • my blog

Reply #36 on: September 12, 2013, 01:33:52 pm
that simple nesy thing looks amazing, I tried doing one aswell but your tiles look much less like a pattern whereas mine is just very apparent I think

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 06:49:08 pm
Oh, more? I'll include those next update. I actually did a very similar stonehenge gate for my GB version (reference to Valkyrie no Bouken).

Blentard v0.43 now supports reloading gfx while in-game, and up to 8 sheets which are assigned randomly to each region. I included 4 sample regions.

I don't know much about demoscene art. I liked the logos the most. The figurative art (I saw) was mostly copies or badly drawn women or screaming psycho faces.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 07:18:30 pm
Lots of nice stuff in this thread! ;D

I especially like the mix of saturated and more subdued colors you tend to use. As for improvements, there's a noticeable grid in the water tiles now. You have the brighter lines forming the grid and a bunch of large highlights lining up vertically and horizontally which emphasizes it. I also think the gem looks strange, volumetrically speaking. Most of it is a flat color plane, while the highlight gives the impression of a protruding shape casting a shadow on the lower part, like a stop-sign sliced into and bent out of shape or a flat nautilus shell bent along the vertical center line.

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 10:53:32 am
I think this thread need a bit of sci-fi:

Wip, char is hard to read, I'll fix it.