AuthorTopic: GR#138 - PixelArt tutorial illustration and mini dump  (Read 35807 times)

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Re: PixelArt tutorial illustration and mini dump

Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 11:39:35 pm
Fickludd> :D http://androidarts.com/pixtut/FickluddSkin.png

Rosse> Similar solution to mine for the trees there! But I noticed now that I'm the only one using outlines so heavily and my grass is by far the busiest. I tried to stay pretty close to my original though.

Here's a WIP of the Pixel Art Tutorial page. It's very much promoting my (current) style, so I'll have to address that later.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:41:15 pm by Arne »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 05:35:18 am
Love your ^ tutorial page Arne thankyou.

Never done this before so here's my attempt:

Removed all noise and kept contrast limited to points of interest such as the edges of game space.
Added a red cape to the character to help him pop.
Character probably still needs more brightness but I'm out of time.

I also did this but went back to smoother shadows as grass is maybe too noisy?

Progress:

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:19:13 am by Decroded »

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 02:08:25 pm
I'm inexperienced with tiling, so I've probably messed up the water edge ones somewhere :yell:

I tried to keep bubblegum sorts of colours, just less eye-burning than the original. Also simplify, remove single-pixel noise, etc.

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 02, 2013, 03:19:26 pm
Here's my half hour effort.

What I did:

CLEANED UP THE OUTLINES
DESATURATED THE COLOURS
Chose a light source
Drew in form
Made some bad grass
Adjusted hues slightly
Made some awful water
Decided that 1 gem wasn't enough, so made 3
Added some shadows
Made an awful effort at a character as i cannot draw them
Tidied things up slightly.
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 02, 2013, 06:08:37 pm

Generally, I made the shapes and forms more interesting. I also went for something that could look like you're in a mystical, dangerous world. I went with pines trees because they're great for environments that is pretty much apathetic to you, while deciduous trees are more extroverted and open. I changed the house from being a plain square house to something a little more unconventional.

Possible directions to take this farther are adding cast shadows and polishing up the colors, possibly bouncelight, maybe.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 06:11:02 pm by Pix3M »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 06:42:15 pm
I'll include these next update! :D

Here's a download link for Bloenard v0.32 (Built on my new Windows 7 machine) if you guys want to try out your tiling. It's very bare bones so far, but I have plans... Plans!

--- INSTRUCTIONS ---
Arrow keys to walk.
Space to teleport to a new world (while standing on a pad/gate whatever). Or just hit "r" anywhere.
Escape to quit! X button doesn't work yet!

Replace "Source.bmp" (case sensitive) with your own but keep the mask color (85, 170, 143) and the exact same dimensions. I don't check for bad files so mess up = crash.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:35:29 pm by Arne »

Offline Fickludd

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 07:50:57 pm
That got pretty nightelfish, Pix3M =).

The tutorial is really nice Arne. If you want more diversity (you mention it in the bottom of the tut), perhaps some of the other great pixellers here would care to make green versions of the topics were you only have one green made?

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 11:36:44 pm

Messed around with shapes and colors. It would've been up sooner but my computer lost power and I hadn't saved...  :D . I had fun doing it at least!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 03:47:12 am
I'll include these next update! :D

Here's a download link for Bloenard v0.32 (Built on my new Windows 7 machine) if you guys want to try out your tiling. It's very bare bones so far, but I have plans... Plans!

--- INSTRUCTIONS ---
Arrow keys to walk.
Space to teleport to a new world (while standing on a pad/gate whatever). Or just hit "r" anywhere.
Escape to quit! X button doesn't work yet!

Replace "Source.bmp" (case sensitive) with your own but keep the mask color (85, 170, 143) and the exact same dimensions. I don't check for bad files so mess up = crash.
I can't test this right now but did I break rules by having the tree hang out the top into the next tile?
Can we have different tiles for vertical rows of cliffs?
Or maybe I should redo it to me more of an icon of a mountain like everyone else's.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 04:04:31 pm
I have been busy with other things, so no update to the tutorial page yet. I'll add those new pixel-overs later, but if I get too many I'll have to create a subpage for them :o

The engine only supports overlaps and transparencies for the character+gem row atm. I was thinking that I'd keep it simple. It's more of a thing targeted for very basic 16*16 px tiling. I did this 16*12px mockup and I'm thinking of doing something along those lines later: