AuthorTopic: GR#138 - PixelArt tutorial illustration and mini dump  (Read 35808 times)

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Re: PixelArt tutorial illustration and mini dump

Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 04:51:14 pm
Couldn't resist playing with that mini stuff. Stole all your best designs and tweaked them! ;) Lottsa colors, mostly due to separate palettes for most items. Iso house! works ok me thinks, right? Character is 1 pixel too wide...didn't wanna compromise it :/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:04:54 pm by DawnBringer »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 06:56:50 pm
Hmmm. You can probably kill the symmetry if you do a flippable walk frame with shifting arms.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 03:54:52 pm
Iterated this thing. The previous version didn't tile very well. Decided to add some fogged BG tiles for the enemy encounters... if I get that far. Time to sit down and update the tutorial now though.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 04:51:02 pm

Had fun doing this

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 05:27:42 pm
A dark saviour appears?

I added it to the tut page with is now updated. Added a bit about Daleks and the new guest pieces, but not much else.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 06:50:52 pm
I'ts the one eyed vampire Count Mondego, he lost his eye when Edmond Dantès killed him, but his noble blood and rage made him rise from the grave to wreak unholy vengeance. His task is to steal all of the treasure of the Count of Monte Cristo and then crush him like the filthy peasant he is.  ;D

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 09:29:08 pm
But will he safely navigate the sharp rocks that Monte Cristo has placed throughout the land?

Some progress towards the next release. An 8x8 seed map is generated for the random world to force some persistence. Telepads near the edges are used for travel. The idea is that the game will load a different map skin for each region, and monster pictures from a monster/ folder. Aim is to make it a super simple Dragon Quest game. Unsure what houses will do.

Edit: fixed concave beaches (badly aligned) and gave house perspective.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:27:10 am by Arne »

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 09:50:54 pm
arrr, didn't do the edges of the water. No time to change it now...

Tried to use less saturated colors. I just like less saturated colors.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #28 on: September 07, 2013, 12:21:16 pm

I LOVE the way you rendered this thing.

The way you suddenly make the shadows desaturated is both bold and subtle. You dont really notice it explicitly real size, but  up close one sees how secure you were of that choice

Cant even imagine what you mean by enhancing saturation points cause I cant see anything wrong with it. Please finish it and blow my mind =)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:22:51 pm by Conceit »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #29 on: September 07, 2013, 06:50:38 pm
I felt the gray wasn't working on that one. By enhancing saturation points, I mean... when going from dark to light, (and probably pretty desaturated), or just from one form to another, having a 50% blend is a bit boring. By adding some saturation you can say, hey, this thing has some color dimension too. I don't really mean saturated terminators (on a an overexposed red planet you'd only see black where shadowed, white where lit, and say, martian red on the terminator because it's the only place where you can fit in a normally saturated color. I'm more talking about sort of whimsical points of light, chromatic aberration perhaps. Actual color, perhaps. Subsurface scattering, perhaps. Self illumination, perhaps. It doesn't matter so much. It's just to bring in more color dimensionality.

I never uploaded this one for some reason.

Basically I'm talking about a more subtle version of painting with correct values but garbled colors.

A related discussion is what I'd call... color textures... color fields which consists of many colors upon closer inspection, i.e. dithering in pixel art, but with the intent of creating something more than a color rather than just a new value. The impressionists and pointillists did it with gusto. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Henri_de_Toulouse-Lautrec_056.jpg It's pretty common to see artists from any time mix in blue textures into warmer colors but digital art tends to be cleaner nowadays. Paul Bonner works traditionally and likes to use a copper teal: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Forests-The-Paul-Bonner/dp/1845767055 - It's sometimes a plain flat hue shift but I think the double (or triple) color texture has a different feel to it so I wouldn't call that a hue shift. It's visible on the brushstroke level.

Needless to say, this kinda stuff is difficult to do in pixel art with a small palette and so few pixels to work with. Can't quite do the dither-color thing on a tiny NES sprite (pixels are too big) and you wouldn't want to waste a color on just a saturated dot. Can play with adjacencies though, maybe colored outlines.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:29:33 pm by Arne »