AuthorTopic: Random  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Random

on: August 30, 2013, 07:46:31 pm
Recently got back into pixel art a little bit, and thought now would be the time to get a little review of how I'm doing so far.

the bottom is my poor attempt at a wall. I've played around with it forever trying to get it to look like one, but, as you can see, not doing so great. Also, I'm going for 3/4 perspective, so if anything looks like it might be in the wrong perspective, or even just a little off, PLEASE help me fix it. The tree, on the right, seems to be the most problematic right now.

Any comments, suggestions, etc, would be much appreciated. I might post some more stuff in here as I get around to making it.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Random

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 02:50:26 pm
The tree is problematic because it has constant change in both shape and lighting (color of leaves). I think it would be fixed if both types of change were less noticeable in the upper part and more abrupt in the lower part.

Box: I think the "X sticks" should be completely black-lined. Or not at all. But this limbo state gives them an unfinished feel...
I think the lowest, "right"est pixel of the box shouldn't be there. Since it keeps the edge from being rounded, as the pixels that are just up suggest.
The upper side's coloring seems weird- it looks as it has caved in a bit. Maybe think of shading each individual plank and not the whole cover.

Bike: The wheels don't have a uniform thickness. And the handle makes some sort of a "tangent" with the "front-stick" of the structure, giving the impression that it hides underneath it. I suggest changing the color of the lines to make it clear that the handle is overlapping it.

Wall: I wouldn't be worried about creating an obviously patterned wall, just define the bricks. If you do want them like that, then consider where the lighting is coming from, and how strong it is

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 06:11:50 pm

Here's a bit of an update on everything. I think the box and the tree have been improved a little, but I'm still not entirely satisfied with either. The bike and the wall I didn't do to much with, but I did try to implement what you were saying. Not really sure how well I succeeded.  :-\

I didn't give the wheels on the bike uniform thickness before because I wanted to make sure they didn't look they where being seen from the side, well the rest of the bike was in 3/4's. I think I was trying to have the top be thicker to show that it is the top. I changed the back wheel now to be all the same thickness, but I left the front, for comparison. I'm not sure which is better, or if there is something else I should be doing to them, with shading, etc, to make them...better. Should I make both wheels only 2 pixels wide?

Thx's for the help. Schools starting soon, so hopefully I won't forget about this stuff.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 07:26:19 pm
The bike is way too short..
And the lines in the wall are too broken up for it to read well..

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 10:17:25 pm
Wall: maybe you're thinking of the kind of texture as on the ground in this image?
Instead of repeated tiles its just flat area with various patches of suggested lines.

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 11:56:53 pm
Ok, I just completely started over on the wall. Here are two new ones. Any better?

And I was actually going for more along the lines of this type of wall, by Cyangmou, or maybe this, by Kiwinuptou

Of course, my newest ones don't really look like that, but do they at least look readable as walls, or is there something else I should be doing. I think they might seem more like floor tiles than anything else.

Also, I was using the crate Cyangmou made in that picture to help with the shading and whatnot in mine. That's why my crate originally was darker in the middle like that. I'm still not happy with the shading on mine, but I'm not sure how to shade it to look like wood.  :sigh:

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 05:54:09 am
Now it's the opposite, the lines are too solid.
You need to get a feel for which lines are needed to convey the shape, otherwise it gets too random.

Also, looking at the examples, they are higher resolution which makes it easier..

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 08:52:05 pm
Any better?

And how would I go about making something higher resolution? I really like the style in those two examples, but I have no clue how to go about obtaining something similar. I think that part of my problem is that I'm afraid of adding detail, because when I do it either gets hard to read, or just ends up noisy. Maybe there's some way I can practice this to make it easier? I know that if I just keep working at it I can get better, but maybe there is something specific I can work on to focus on details and resolution?

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 02:49:28 pm
heya, here are some suggestions on getting what I think you might be trying to achieve

don't have time to check it tiling, hope this helps, hopefully you can identify what I've done an d how I've approached it.

Offline Âme

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 07:45:20 pm
Thank you so much. here's an update.

I don't think they're quite as good as yours, but defiantly better than before. I changed the stones to a more purple color, but I might still bring them back. I will try to post more stuff soon.