AuthorTopic: How do i make grass for 2d Game  (Read 10600 times)

Offline (BYOND)Hebrons

• View Profile

How do i make grass for 2d Game

on: August 29, 2013, 03:26:08 am
I need help its for my 2d game it doesnt need to be advanced but i want it to have nicer quality thanks for helping :) <3

« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 03:27:03 am by PixelPiledriver »
An Wise Man once said Dont Start what you Cant Pixel !

Offline Tetiro

• Leader of Grandpa Pixel
    • View Profile
    • Grandpa Pixel

Re: How do i make grass for 2d Game

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:15:44 am
That's a good start! There is no true way to master 2d grass because grass is part of nature.

This is where almost EVERY 2d game has problems with. Nature is IMPOSSIBLE to sprite properly because it naturally grows and moves. Unlike say a building that is man-built.

The best way to do it is to make the grass reflect YOUR style. Don't let the your style reflect the grass. For instance, in my RPG. Because I wanted to make the graphics like a 16-bit rpg, I sprited all the graphics like you would in say Final Fantasy 6 or Chrono Trigger.

Perhaps if you showed us more graphics then I could help bring the grass to your style.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 08:24:00 am
I think what goes around the grass tile is very important to consider.  Look at Link to the Past, the grass is just a solid color with a few grass blades here and there, but it looks ok because of the other tiles around it.  No matter how good your grass tile is, it will look boring if the majority of the screen is filled with just it.  You need to think about composing the screen.  I would start by roughly sketching a screen for your game at your intended resolution.  Keep tiles in mind, but dont worry too much about the grid or tileability.  This will help you figure out what style of grass will work with everything else around it to make the whole screen look right.  Making each texture as an isolated object, I think, is the wrong way to go about it.

Offline (BYOND)Hebrons

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:32:55 pm
Okay thanks :)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:50:50 am
I think what goes around the grass tile is very important to consider.  Look at Link to the Past, the grass is just a solid color with a few grass blades here and there, but it looks ok because of the other tiles around it.  No matter how good your grass tile is, it will look boring if the majority of the screen is filled with just it.  You need to think about composing the screen.  I would start by roughly sketching a screen for your game at your intended resolution.  Keep tiles in mind, but dont worry too much about the grid or tileability.  This will help you figure out what style of grass will work with everything else around it to make the whole screen look right.  Making each texture as an isolated object, I think, is the wrong way to go about it.

I agree and too many people make the same mistake IMO.
Try sketching out a mockup scene in your desired resolution.
Don't get lost in details, start out with blocks of colour keep working around the scene so you keep a consistent style.

Check out this amazing work in Seyken: Crystal Kingdom below.
Notice how the grass is smooth except where some blades of grass pop up.
Notice the patches of variation.
And all done with just a few colours in the ramp!

This obviously requires a high level of skill so don't cry if yours doesn't look that good (like I do! :'( ), hopefully you get something out of it though.
If you want to improve, its best not to emulate any style in particular but its always good to learn what you can and move on.

Offline (BYOND)Hebrons

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 04:45:21 am
could one of you guys make an 32x32 base player avatar for me for my game jst the standing positions all directs thanks :) ill do the rest of animations

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 06:57:10 am
Theres plenty of bases available just look around...

Offline (BYOND)Hebrons

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:33:31 am
i want something original precisely made for my game..

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 09:23:16 am
This part of the forum is not a place where you beg for art and edits(and then use them without permission). If you don't want to do your art youself, please go and post at the job offer page.
There is an "unpaid" section that might suit your needs.

http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?board=14.0
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:48:14 am by coffee »