AuthorTopic: Requesting a new sticky thread  (Read 10924 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Requesting a new sticky thread

Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 07:06:21 pm
Yeah, agree with Helm here. If you got some pixelart you made you think looks better in 2x than in 1x, please post it here, I would like to have a look.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 07:16:05 pm
To me it's about readability and presentation which I think suffers at small sizes. You can still read an e-book with a font set to 3pts but it's just not very pleasant even if the story doesn't suffer. When I work in PS I find that keeping a 200% or 300% zoomed copy of my canvas next to my 1600% working one is ideal... at 1x or 16x I can't quite judge what's happening to the pixel cohesion and neighboring. I have to use a similar approach for human faces which I also keep in a separate window comfortably zoomed. It's a hightech version of backing away from the painting.

My urge to view (most) pixel art at 2x is as strong as... keeping a certain distance from a painting in an art museum. On top of all this there's of course the appeal of visible pixels.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 08:25:42 pm
I also often pixel with the preview at x2 but I think if your pixel art looks BETTER at x2 you're probably doing something wrong.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 09:08:26 pm
I made http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/79725.htm using 2x preview, and always thought it looked better 2x. But that just might be the fact that I was working at 2x the entire process. It might be a phenomenon related to what happens when you mirror a sprite you've been working on for a while. You just kind of get used to how it looks.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 09:34:35 pm
I can't quite judge what's happening to the pixel cohesion and neighboring.

I totally concur on your issue with 1x. As far as I trust what my eyes are actually seeing, 1x usually not do justice to what I'm trying to pixel. But obviously, putting aside "matters of taste" (if possible), as Helm and Ptoing already highlighted, something may be wrong. Personally, I begin to understand that an awful CRT bias might goes on as I'm probably placed in minority by non-CRT viewers, but given your screen specs I doubt you're viewing pixels with cathodic tubes.

I made http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/79725.htm using 2x preview, and always thought it looked better 2x.

Well I do prefer your piece at 1x, actually, at 2x I think some places are a bit crude, lacks AA like clouds, color gradient illusion not working in mountains, ordered dithering in rocks, jaggies on pine trees. Whereas at 1x, none of these small "flaws" apply in my opinion.
At 1x the illusions works perfectly to me.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:36:55 pm by Anarkhya »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 09:51:24 pm
We might be talking about different things, Helm. I'm just saying I can better appreciate pixel art at 2x. I might be able to appreciate it at 1x too, but then I'd have to put my nose to the monitor unless it's a HD fighter game or a smiley. I can't appreciate pixel art at all from 1km away, to use an extreme.

You're probably talking about the difficulty of ... taking a nicely pixeled 64*32 character and making it 32*16 and having it look better. I'd agree that it's difficult but your definition of "better" is probably narrow as it appears to be suggesting that more definition on character = better, which is not always the case, and it also ignores the appeal which comes with knowing that a piece was done by beautifully utilizing limited resources.

And making highrez pixel art is also a lot more difficult and time consuming, so that 2x lowrez piece might actually end up looking better anyways due to limited time and available talent.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 11:01:15 pm
I think pixel art should always be created with the intention of being solid and functional at 1x, but "appreciation" as Arne put it seems much easier for me at 2x or higher zooms. That said I don't think I can recall having seen a piece of pixel art I liked better at 1x than I do at 2x- I just like seeing the pixels ( perhaps there are some exceptions with WIP work where the nicely placed values fall apart cluster wise and such).

Full disclaimer, I always stick my nose up close to a painting as soon as I get the chance.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 01:00:17 pm
I also often pixel with the preview at x2 but I think if your pixel art looks BETTER at x2 you're probably doing something wrong.

Eh, I dunno.  I personally feel all pixel art looks better in a 320x240 res sort of size cos the low resolution and relatively 'chunky' pixels are a crucial feature of what I actually love about pixel art.  I can't stand high resolutions for this sort of thing so yes, 'scaled up' or 'zoomed in' or whatever is certainly more aesthetically pleasing as far as I'm concerned.  Me wonders how much time I waste having to click or scroll the mouse wheel to constantly zoom into almost every single bit of pixel art on the internet all these years...
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/