AuthorTopic: Requesting a new sticky thread  (Read 10922 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Requesting a new sticky thread

on: August 21, 2013, 01:55:06 pm
Could we have another sticky in the pixel art board titled READ FIRST: Zoom function.
"The forum has a zoom function where you right-click images to zoom in on them, please don't post images that have been resized. Post your work in the original resolution"

Because there are so many people who don't realize this.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Re: Requesting a new sticky thread

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 02:17:10 pm
Too many stickies. I added a portion about it in the sticky of the Pixel Art board.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 08:07:52 pm
The problem I think, is that there is only one sticky on the relevant board and it links to other stickies on other boards..
Most people won't go that far to read because they think it's just common sense rules and such.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 08:51:54 pm
1: It doesn't work well in some browsers (blurs in chrome, and I use various script blockers since I'm paranoid).

2: Everyone should post their images at the size they are actually meant to be viewed at, which probably isn't ant size. Why the extra step of clicking on the ants? It's easy enough to flip flop back and forth with a scaling macro when doing editing.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:06:18 pm
It would be interesting what everyones resolution is. Mine is 1920x1200 atm. And it will only get higher.

I do not mind clicking on stuff a bit, or you could use some browser plugin to zoom.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 09:09:26 pm
1440x900 here. Yea, I'll probably be implementing an alternative for Chrome/Webkit soon, as there won't be support for the nearest neighbor stuff >:(
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 11:49:56 pm
2: Everyone should post their images at the size they are actually meant to be viewed at, which probably isn't ant size. Why the extra step of clicking on the ants? It's easy enough to flip flop back and forth with a scaling macro when doing editing.
As ptoing implies, this is not really 'doable' because everyone has different resolution displays. I'm probably on the lower end of the resolution equation, with 1680x1050 native resolution on a 96dpi screen; it wouldn't surprise me if a number of the more 'serious artist' types here have 2560px+ or more screens with 125dpi+ resolution.
Or worse, multiple screens with differing DPI.

Not to mention that edits are important here, and 1x1 pixels greatly facilitate them.

As far as browser plugins go, I can recommend ImageZoom (Firefox). You just need to adjust the "Zoom in/out factor" to 200% in the preferences. It also does rotation which occasionally proves useful. My only critique is that scroll-to-zoom (ala Reddit Enhancement Suite) doesn't really work at all when you have a tablet with no scroll wheel, and there's no alternate method of access, so I normally have to use the menu (right click, hit Keypad + or -).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 11:56:27 pm by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 02:15:53 am
I'm also blocking scripts but it isn't an issue for me, temporarily allowing the zoom script is just two clicks away when I fire up my browser. As for the resolution 1280*1024 96dpi 19'', and I rarely look at (or even push) pixels at 100% zoom, it just "doesn't feel right" to me anymore, so I end up click zooming to view everything at 200%.

Having the ability to zoom in also does greater justice to pixel pieces that use dark values, it bypasses the cons of the bright SMF default skin.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 04:06:22 am
^ me too. An option to set default zoom percentage would make things friendlier; I really don't bother viewing anything here at 100%.

Some way to set the zoom level for individual "[img]" tags would help too  (eg "[img zoom=2]"), it would let post authors set what they think is an appropriate default zoom level for the image, without impacting peoples ability to do edits.

Edit: BTW, screen -dpi- is far more relevant to the question of 'will my image show up at the intended size' than actual number of pixels or physical dimensions.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 07:46:55 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 04:36:39 am
1920x1080  X2