AuthorTopic: Legally Colorblind  (Read 15226 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Legally Colorblind

Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 12:40:21 am
Another one here, more fine differentiation, good for checking your monitor. Poor calibration could make any of this stuff more difficult though.

That is insanely hard... the third one(teal and blue) is practically impossible for me. It's not helping that I'm getting cross-eyed trying to look at it... it feels like I'm looking at one of those optical illusions.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:46:18 am by Dusty »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:44:03 am
I learnt today that Snake/Imson of Owlboy and Collossal katamari fame is colorblind, also R/G colorblind although I dont know to what degree....and he's doing pretty damn well, could never tell from his work. So yeah, like ptoing said no worries whatsoever, it wont limit what you can do if you work on it =)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:46:52 am by Conceit »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 08:02:50 am
Colorblind artists prevail! It's comforting to know there are a lot of great artists who are colorblind.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 06:52:09 pm
Cheers for the links.  Had wondered if I had any colorblindness but it would seem not despite what some people say about my color usage.   ;D
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 09:05:01 pm
Colorblind artists prevail! It's comforting to know there are a lot of great artists who are colorblind.

I was really depressed a few years back when I feared I was color blind and when I finally got it confirmed at a doctor I felt really miserable, luckily I didn't let it stop me because I love design and art..

And it's only color deficiency, I can see  red/green fine unless it's low saturation or very dark.
Also having digital tools that can tell the exact RGB values help. I sometimes mix up dark brown and dark green, so I'm extra careful with those colors.

Something that is quite annoying though is that certain colors like neon orange next to dark blue is hard for me to focus on, especially light ( like from a monitor) also some colors on alarm clocks. which look fuzzy.

edit [Something I've noticed when playing LoL, the purple text is hard to focus on for me, it doesn't look as sharp as other colors, not sure if it's color deficiency or the fact that I have glasses, because I doubt the designers who chose purple have the same issue. (also why did they choose blue/purple and not red/blue? Purple still contains blue so it's not the best opposite match) http://i.snag.gy/EoCEu.jpg]

It does lower your confidence somewhat as an artist, knowing you can never have perfect color vision, but for me this is all I have so it's good enough.
I just have to read up more on colors and color theory to know what to avoid and be careful with.

@Dusty
I find that dark yellow looks very green..
I thought it was due to my color deficiency, but maybe it's like that for everyone? I just tend to make the shadows more red.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:25:27 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 13, 2013, 09:32:48 pm
edit [Something I've noticed when playing LoL, the purple text is hard to focus on for me, it doesn't look as sharp as other colors, not sure if it's color deficiency or the fact that I have glasses, because I doubt the designers who chose purple have the same issue. (also why did they choose blue/purple and not red/blue? Purple still contains blue so it's not the best opposite match) http://i.snag.gy/EoCEu.jpg]

Games that include Color Blindness options are amazing. I wish more games did it. I know puzzle games that use colors(like colored gems) get very hard as you get into later levels with more colors. I can differ green and yellow, but I can't do so at the blazingly fast speeds the games tend to expect. However, even games outside of puzzle games should start considering this. I know Call of Duty has a colorblind mode that changes red names to a bright orange/yellowish color, and team mate colors change from green to light blue. It makes it MUCH easier to quickly evaluate icons/names, especially against a mostly brown/dull background. However, that's still a big issue with modern games these days. Where most of the game is a dull brown shade, enemies/characters easily blend in with their backgrounds.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #16 on: August 13, 2013, 09:56:42 pm
Yeah, it would actually be good to have a color blind gui designer, since so many males have some form of colorblindness..
Just having game designers that know basic color theory would be a good start.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 13, 2013, 10:39:55 pm
I got 0 as well when I first did it. Not gonna try on my current monitor which is 7 years old and showing signs of discoloration, which is not gonna help. I think to score very well in this test you really need a decent monitor.
Yeah, I managed the 0 on my newer monitor, not on my older laptop; found the blue most difficult on either though.

Interesting thinking about work-arounds, @Seisenki: Photoshop has a couple of built-in global filters simulating complete red or green blindness (view>proof setup) Might be worth experimenting with personalised filters too?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 01:00:23 am
^ GIMP and GPick both have colorblindness filters as well (GPick is a color picker and palette creator, FYI. It includes a lot of  tools for analyzing and comparing colors too.)

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:46 pm
But those filters are just for regular people, to show how the image looks for people with color blindness.