AuthorTopic: Legally Colorblind  (Read 15384 times)

Offline Zintendo

• View Profile

Legally Colorblind

on: August 12, 2013, 08:39:13 pm
Is there anybody else that sees only 3 colors in the rainbow?  I have gotten my sprites drawn out and shaded in black and white, but I have trouble differentiating colors on the green/red spectrum of wavelengths.  No, staring at the sun isn't the cause of this (although I did do that as a young kid for some reason).  It turns out, I had my dad check it out and he has the same ordeal.  I believe it is genetic.

http://colorvisiontesting.com/ishihara.htm

I'm coping fine as long as I stay technical and learn the appropriate hex values.  Adobe Flash lets me mouse over colors and pick out hex fluctuations that my eyes simply can't. (I use graphicsgale btw, not flash)

Anyways... Just thought I'd point this out.  You may not even know you are deficient in seeing colors, I didn't until I was much older.  The ratio of you forumgoers having some sort of color deficiency is probably one in 30, considering there are varying spectrum deficiencies.  There is a whole article on wikipedia, if you trust their malleable information, lol.

:'( I CANT SEE THE GRASS HUES  :'(

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Legally Colorblind

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:46:13 pm
Tough break, man.

Thanks for the link. I believe my color perception is normal; passed 'em.

NO GRASS HUES!?!? GAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:32:56 pm
Color blindness is weird. I've known I'm partially red/ green colorblind but I can remember seeing those tests a year or two back and I could see more of the numbers. For the record I know I have a pretty clear concept of red and green that is the same as other people. I only find it problematic to identify in very small/ low saturation areas.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:46:28 pm
Tomic is colourblind, and Archmage (C64 demoscene guy), and they are both great pixelartists. Don't let it stop you. Oh, Albert Uderzo (of Asterix fame) was colourblind too. :)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:47:26 pm
I was surprised when I went to the eye doctor a few years ago for new glasses and they ran the test(I had no idea what it was) and then told me I'm colorblind. In retrospect it made sense, as people teased me about what I clearly though were the right colors(I remember an incident in school using green sharpie and thinking it was black). I'm red/green colorblind, but I mostly have problems with telling subtle differences, rather than outright not seeing green or red. I can see red, my cup is red. But if I were to put two colors that aren't too far apart in hue(a close shade of yellow and green) I'd start having a problem.

For example, when I first submitted this piece: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/68501.htm

I just straight ramped the shades rather than adjusting the hue:

I got a lot of complaints that it looked green, it completely caught me off guard. I often have friends double check my colors now to make sure my yellows aren't green, and my orange picks are actually orange.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:00:40 pm
I failed that test haha. I consider myself in the same boat and Ryumaru and Dusty; I only really have trouble picking out shades that are close together.

However, I remember going on a walk with my girlfriend when she pointed out a red bird in the woods, and I couldn't find it no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't even see it when it was flying around apparently.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:42:09 pm
Another one here, more fine differentiation, good for checking your monitor. Poor calibration could make any of this stuff more difficult though. 

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 11:16:49 pm
Another one here, more fine differentiation, good for checking your monitor. Poor calibration could make any of this stuff more difficult though.

11! Wohoo~
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:42 pm

11! Wohoo~
I got 0 when I did that test a few years back. I'm afraid to try it again, as I'd like to continue living with the happy delusion that I have perfect colour vision still and always :D
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:44:04 pm
I got 0 as well when I first did it. Not gonna try on my current monitor which is 7 years old and showing signs of discoloration, which is not gonna help. I think to score very well in this test you really need a decent monitor.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.