AuthorTopic: Franck Sauer's pixel art and recounts  (Read 8297 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: Franck Sauer's pixel art and recounts

Reply #10 on: August 07, 2013, 03:22:58 pm
Just out of interest, what input device do you use if not a mouse?  I have a large wacom, but I end up using the mouse for 80% of my pixeling workflow.  I enjoyed pixelling on my old DS, so be tempted to give a cintiq a go, but seems a bit too much of a luxury since I never felt a mouse inadequate (and hadn't really heard anyone else say so in regards to pixelling till now).

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 03:28:56 pm
I have a Intuos3 6x11 tablet, which I use for EVERYTHING I can use it with. As in everything that does not go funk with a mouse, such as FPS games (generally use mouse for games which have wasd+mouse setup or something like that), and certain 3d software such as Wings3D which does not like absolute position input.

So yeah, using the tablet for everything including general navigation in Windows.

I would not say that a mouse is inadequate but I am A LOT faster with a stylus and it feels more natural. People who say that they are more steady with a mouse, yes that can be true, but you can always zoom in or use snapping or something like that. It never has been a problem for me.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 04:15:45 pm
Oh we have the same tablet - maybe I will force myself to use it more in the pixel process in the hopes of speeding things up if I can get used to it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 04:32:25 pm
Man, you're right though. Remember staring at flickering CRT monitors for hours on end?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 04:51:08 pm
. . .
So yeah, using the tablet for everything including general navigation in Windows.
. . .

Lately, I've been trying to force myself to do this, too - use my wacom whenever possible. I hate that my drawing ability is still so much better and natural on paper. Making long curvy lines and stuff, following contours, etc, is much more difficult for me on my tablet. Getting better, though . . .

Man, you're right though. Remember staring at flickering CRT monitors for hours on end?

'Til my eyes bled.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 05:39:17 pm

Man, yeah. They not only flicker, my 1084S Commodore monitor I use for my C64 also makes an audible highpitched whine kinda noise. It is not super loud and if you play something on it and have music going it gets drowned. But damn, I imagine doing stuff on it in a silent room, without listening to music and not having a lot of background noise. I'd go mad.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 07:00:29 pm
Bright colours, flickering screens = awesome migraine generator, ugh.

Another all-tablet-all-the-time convert here btw, digital linework is still a issue for me though, the only thing I've found to help is slowing down a lot.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 09:06:48 pm
I don't remember experiencing that much flickering during my amiga days (as a gamer), and I also had a 108x serie monitor.
In fact, the only real souvenir of flickering was when I played Darkseed, I loved the game but it was clearly killing my eyes.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 07:44:56 am
Well yeah, Darkseed is in one of the interlace modes, so it will kill. There was flickerfixer hardware you could get to mitigate this. And I could not imagine working in DPaint in any of the 2 flickering modes without such hardware.

And I agree, during normal play and such the 50Hz is not too bad. Still it will strain your eyes more than higher Hz or LCD/Plasma screens which do not flicker.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 08:05:52 am
I remember noticing the flicker once my eyes got so tired they started to defocus while pixelling/playing videogames. Headaches were a very common thing. But now this thread is becoming crochety. Once I have some time, I'll try to secure and interview with mister Franck Sauer. Perhaps he'll be interested in giving us his recounts of pixelling at the time, how he feels about the medium today and especially, as was mentioned in this thread, the paradigm shift of when art_made_of_pixels was the cutting edge and very laborious to create versus today when it's considered a cheap and retro asset creation method.