AuthorTopic: UUUUP!  (Read 8331 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: UUUUP!

Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 04:08:53 am
Was he ever that happy in the movie? ::) The "smiling with closed eyes" reminds me of anime, but since he's an old man it sort of makes sense.

why yes he was

What is odd about it is that he is saying a greeting with his eyes closed.
In the reference he looks like he's sitting down and really relaxing by himself without anyone around.
It would make more sense if either the "yo" was gone or his eyes were open wide.

In your reference, the chin really sticks out with a highlight near the top.
Your bottom jaw is similar but I feel the dark line for the mouth detracts from the shape of the chin and flattens it.
With some pretty simple rendering steps including nose shadow on the upper lip, you won't need such a dark line.

As mentioned, you should make better use of the light and shadow in the reference to help bring out the forms.
You've also squared off his belt instead of letting it curve over his belly which again, flattens the forms.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 01:39:06 am
-Modified the color of the chair on the right.
-Made the belt rounder
-Added a darker area near his hip/leg
-Added highlight on his coat
-Removed the ''yo''
-Changed the color of the face
-Added nose shadow and upper lip shadow
-Lightened the color of the mouth
-Added clouds
-Added floor
-Added balloon in the sky + AA
-Reduced the size of the glasses
-Fiddled with the hair a bit

Unless you guys still see saw any blatant flaws I think I am going to call this piece done.

(by the way, my reference is actually a bit earlier in the movie)

Offline Yngar

• Part-time Ludologist
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 05:33:39 am
I just noticed 3 things that could use a little tweaking.
His hair, especially on the top left could use a little darkening around the edges to make it stand out from the windows. It kind of looks like there is a tangent there that caught my eye immediately.

Second I would widen his pants a bit on the insides and put more of a crease in the crotch area. Right now it looks like his hips are really wide and his legs are way too far apart.

Third is a small thing. I think if you lighten up the edges on the balloon, especially the top, it will make it look a lot less aliased. The dark red on the edges seems a bit too dark and even at the normal scale the aliasing looks a bit rough. Lightening it up could make it look more translucent and less harsh.

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 04:29:52 pm
Personally, I'd break from the source image a bit and put some shading on the top of his belly to increase perceived depth.