AuthorTopic: Pixel Art Wiki  (Read 30311 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Pixel Art Wiki

Reply #70 on: August 13, 2013, 10:31:24 am
I never said that you were stupid or anything, I just think that your wiki is too subjective and as such not really helpful. Also that "spray paint" metal you posted is a bit of pretty much flat metal with raindrops. Is that a representative example? I don't think so.

I think this is a better example, and it could probably be done in 3 shades, but it would look better using more.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 11:07:59 am
You need to understand that a lot of people who like pixel art will never have the mastery of form required to say, shade clothing accurately.

It is not your place (or mine or anyone's) to dictate what the limits of knowledge of a third party are and for someone who claims to be interested in helping people this is a really rotten mindset to have.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 01:04:11 pm
I read through the wiki.
It doesn't seem really helpful at all for anybody.
It's too complex for beginners with giving them a point to start and at the same point too generalized for experienced artists.

People who wants to get better at any thing usually find their own solutions with the common and hard way called "practise" and through "experience"
People who wants to get better at art have various places where they can receive individual critique and opinions which usually help them a lot more than a generalized text.
Good art don't comes from great resources, it comes from hard work and there are no shortcuts at all. Even if you tell somebody some rules he won't neither maste rthem immediately nor uses them because he lacks the experiences of all his failed attempts.

Fundamentals of art are no secret, they are shown over and over in the web, in art books, in videos, schools etc. None of those resources helped to improve the general art skill for all people around.
Pixel art is just another technique of art, like oil color or charcoal are, the basics are the same as for any other art technique, there is already enoguh around.

You don't help anyone if you show him a supposed "shortcut" or better "it's done like that".
You rather help people if you encourage them to make their mistakes and learn from them that they can come up with their own ways of solving problems and have fun with finding ways how to solve problems.

I'd recommend that you should rather start a piece of art and post it here, that everybody can see it, learn from it and maybe give critique and help to improve it - that's the purpose of this place here.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: August 13, 2013, 03:35:46 pm
I mentioned earlier that knowledge of actual color theory is more helpful than blindly following another artist's palette.

If you were to have a painted metal object outdoors on a sunny day, the color of the highlights should be white as I've observed that highlights will generally be the exact color of the light source - highlights are essentially reflections. Shadows should be shifted toward the cyan range due to the sky becoming the dominant light source in shadowed areas. Even then, this is putting aside reflected light which can complicate lighting a bit further. When you start to understand lighting, colors really depend on an subject's surroundings.

If we were to approach colors for a specific substance material like, spray-painted metals, I think an approach that would be a lot more helpful is to explain the physics underlying how different substances interacts with light. That sort of knowledge is part of the fundamentals of learning how shading and lighting is done. That sort of knowledge can be individually applied to individual works; the artist themselves can make their own decisions for what they specifically require. If we know how to properly convey different substances, and we probably won't need an encyclopedia of what colors to choose for spray-painted metals once we understand what colors are supposed to be used for the situation. Even then, doesn't hurt to use a ref for safety measure.  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:38:50 pm by Pix3M »

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: August 13, 2013, 05:00:14 pm
You need to understand that a lot of people who like pixel art will never have the mastery of form required to say, shade clothing accurately.

It is not your place (or mine or anyone's) to dictate what the limits of knowledge of a third party are and for someone who claims to be interested in helping people this is a really rotten mindset to have.

(this is not Tsugumo's Pixelation...)

My critique stands: you don't think like dot artists, but like artists who happen to draw at a high zoom. You speak little to the NES spriters, the GBA spriters, the RPGMaker peeps. Frankly you all seem stuck in a time warp fixated on the Commodore 64. And I maintain that the failure of this forum compared to what Pixelation was is a testament to the greater pixel art world's opinion of your opinion of the art. You all have talent, but you lack for -EVERYTHING- else.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:11:22 pm by tcaud »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #75 on: August 13, 2013, 05:19:49 pm
If you feel that way about Pixelation, well, nobody's keeping you. Go forth and be the change you want to see in the world. Make a community around your wiki, support your approach with, say, a decade of community building and see what comes of it. I wish you success.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #76 on: August 13, 2013, 05:20:13 pm
You are making such misinformed assumptions, it's not even funny. I have worked on GBA, DS titles. Other people here have as well. I also have made pixelart to a lot of different specifications for the fun of it, such as (yes) C64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX Spectrum, MSX, and others. Quite a few people here who do pixelart for a living, myself included, do not do gamey pixelart in their freetime. I do enough of that when I work.

But any of those people you mentioned, GBA Spriters, RPG-Maker folks or whoever else, could come here, post their stuff, and will get crits with what they are trying to achieve kept in mind. It is not like we are trying to force some artistic vision on anyone. Have you read Helm's thread on clusters? That is at the ground fundamentals of what makes "dot" art as you call it, taking the smallest element into account and how a single pixel change can make a big difference, esp in small resolutions.

So really, I have no clue what you are even trying to say, are you suggesting what we do and "dot" art is somehow different?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #77 on: August 13, 2013, 06:48:15 pm
oi...

You speak little to the NES spriters.
Like me (to some extent)?
Frankly you all seem stuck in a time warp fixated on the Commodore 64.
Not me...(I use the other 8-bit computer with the wide-pixels)

NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: August 13, 2013, 08:53:12 pm
The peculiar nature of clusters is the main reason I enjoy making pixel art. However, by their very nature they are impossible to study, only refine.

But we see things fundamentally differently. So I won't waste our time anymore.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #79 on: August 14, 2013, 05:44:47 pm
if you don't agree, don't contribute.
Nobody ever improved with the sentiment "Don't like don't look."
Furthermore, many real problems in the world are perpetuated by this same thought.

The idea of a wiki is to employ the knowledge of the masses, and to rely on the chance that someone more knowledgeable will come to correct the mistakes.
However, of course a private wiki can be someone's personal recording of what they think about this or that. You should clearly indicate it in that case.

I'm also extremely insulted that you think pixelation is stuck in the c64 era or whatever, since most of the art I've even seen on this forum has been way more modern (snes, gba or ds to use consoles I know anything about). You're discounting a lot of talent with petty arguments because you can't accept that your work isn't fit for the purpose you've stated before. It works for you (though without examples I can't even say that much) but to educate others it's inadequate.

I suppose you won't even be looking here anymore, oh well.

The best way to get me to rant is by doing the deviantart-dance regarding critique.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com