AuthorTopic: Pixel Art Wiki  (Read 30305 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Pixel Art Wiki

Reply #50 on: August 10, 2013, 10:15:53 pm
What you should do for the wiki is gather information on games which have very solid pixelart (within their timeframe in history, compared to contemporary games at the same time) and the development of pixel art due to changes in hardware and such. And then also articles about specific pixel artists. Getting info about Western pixel artists should be a lot easier than getting info about Asian ones, though.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: August 10, 2013, 11:17:45 pm
That sounds like a very good idea... specific attention to portfolios has been missing. Leaving it to contributors to create their own page has the downside of no one but them being able to edit their page. So you're right in that biography should be relied upon, rather than autobiography.

So on the matter of unoriginality, I take it that NDAs hamper artists and basically put a choice in their hands of "draw what we tell you to draw, or go it completely alone". It's a matter of power imbalance between the project leads and their relationships with the suits, and the people who are essentially. When teams were small there was balance between leader and staff, which resulted in the wild creativity of the early years. Now with larger teams there is risk of outright mutiny, so the project lead is given more control and the power to make people do as they are told. In other words, egos with high charisma and low talent are ruining the industry.

What if games were marketed explicitly for art? I've noticed a few Kickstarters around that theme but they don't appear to have been very successful, maybe because they didn't involve many people.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:44:43 pm by tcaud »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #52 on: August 10, 2013, 11:44:17 pm
Are you involved with game development? Then or now?

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #53 on: August 10, 2013, 11:45:23 pm
Are you involved with game development? Then or now?

Professionally? Yes and no. (and it's irrelevant to the matter at hand... I can offer opinion if I will, free discussion).

I see problems and I'm looking for solutions.

I guess raising the profile of artists is one way to go about it. Nameless artists have little creative control.

On another tangent, what do you think about this edit?

http://wikipixels.gamestargcs.net/index.php?title=Palettes_Applied&oldid=165
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:29:24 am by tcaud »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: August 11, 2013, 11:22:22 am
To me that looks like something that should not be on a pixel art wiki and it sounds like it is taking the piss.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #55 on: August 11, 2013, 05:52:11 pm
From my point of view, I think color should not be suggested upon anyone newly learning pixel art - or any art for that matter. The princibles of contrast, harmony and color scheme should be taught as a theory but offering specific palettes doesn't seem very helpful for newbies, especially since it puts specific meaning to certain combinations of color ('painted metal has x y and z aspects in its colors') which don't really even work. I think it's possible to make an object appear metallic with just about any three colors if you're skilled enough.

Also in general providing palettes for specific aspects of an illustration fails to educate on how light affects the local color of an item or the effects of color on a scene. Falls into a slightly more elaborate version of "sky is blue so I'm coloring it with my blue crayon"

Did my message make any sense? D:
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: August 11, 2013, 06:08:01 pm
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense and I agree. It is one thing to provide an archive for old computer and console specs and palettes and another to write about specific use of those colours. It is pretty pointless.

This image I made is as far as I would go as far as specifics are concerned. And the greys in the C64 palette are a bit special case here.

But I would not go: This ramp is good for skin, this is good for metal, this is good for whatever. A lot of people have made nicely working stuff with unexpected colour combinations, which as Helm pointed out is just something that humans do, being creative. Telling people about super specific ways to use palettes will not help them be creative necessarily.

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: August 12, 2013, 02:21:38 am
As I said before, foundations matter. You must understand the standard before you can begin to rebel against it.

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9092.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: August 12, 2013, 03:00:52 am
As I said before, foundations matter. You must understand the standard before you can begin to rebel against it.
That is something I mostly agree with.

But are you suggesting that what is written on that wiki is the standard? If so, why does it lack any references?
To me it seems to try and create rules rather than point them out. Also the information is very weird...

For example the Palettes Applied page..

Painted metals are defined in 3 shades.. since when? What is wrong with 2, 4 or any other number?
I would agree that highly reflective surfaces such as metallic ones show big contrast between the darker (especially if it reflects a dark or shadowed object) and the lighter spots. However the palette you show does not always have big contrast, for example the light teal and medium teal are super close.
Why would you suggest a palette for a specific purpose instead of giving it as an example? (preferably an example showing rendered metal and not just the palette)

No I have not seen these colors at my local art store. Most of these colors are for me very typical screen colors as they can not be recreated without them being a light source. Way too high saturation to look like something I might find on a pencil!

Sorry for the hostility against your wiki project, but it really is not taking a good approach at collecting and displaying information.
This is the 'what would tcaud do' guide, not a pixel art encyclopaedia...

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: August 12, 2013, 08:51:06 am
My goodness... have you ever looked at a car? It'll gleam white at the reflection of the light and be two shades pretty much everywhere else. It's direct observation.

It's turning out to be a pretty good resource for my benefit... if you don't agree, don't contribute.