AuthorTopic: Pixel Art Wiki  (Read 30310 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Art Wiki

Reply #40 on: August 10, 2013, 05:21:19 am
People have been taught it's bad to be creative.   . . .

Whoa, what now? All I ever see is creativity being promoted in creative circles. Where/how is it being suppressed?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #41 on: August 10, 2013, 08:49:33 am
I don't understand what you mean.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #42 on: August 10, 2013, 09:50:29 am
You can argue that thinking for yourself and being creative gets discouraged in certain school scenarios, but certainly not in any online art forums I have been to.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #43 on: August 10, 2013, 11:13:53 am
In any case, a pixel art wiki should be presenting history. Not inventing terms. Not nudging people towards any one direction.

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: August 10, 2013, 11:30:46 am
Wholeheartedly agree with that.

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: August 10, 2013, 06:42:50 pm
I look at it this way: we see all this creativity on this forum... but when do we ever see that in a game? Practically never.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #46 on: August 10, 2013, 07:58:21 pm
First of all there is a lot of pixelation technique from pixelation users in a lot of games, not all of them high profile. But if you look around you'll find them. Check out the stuff Cyangmou's doing, for example. He's one of the best westerner pixel artists right now and he uses a lot of the technique we discuss on this forum.

Second, the reasons not every asset in a videogame can be worked on the level people work their stuff in here is due to pipeline and deadline issues most of all. Of course people are going to spend more time in their personal projects, and even go a bit 'out there'.

Offline tcaud

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: August 10, 2013, 08:29:41 pm
That's what needs to change, then. If the pipeline can't produce compelling product, it needs to be questioned. This leads me to believe that a free-lance industry would be a stronger industry, if there is indeed a negative correlation between producer control and creativity.

I see three solutions:
- accelerated creativity
- longer-term financing
- broader employment base

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: August 10, 2013, 08:51:41 pm
It is all about budget and estimated return in the end. If a developer pays a freelancer to make pixelart they will have a certain budget limit of how much they can shell out. The pixel artist then can say, OK, I can do this, and this will be about the standard of work I can do, if you want me to go super fancy it will come out more expensive. It is as simple as that. Pixelart is a lot of work, and if you had an AAA sized team work on a pixelart game with something like 30 of the best pixelartists, a brilliant art director and great programmers and all that, and of course a good concept, you could make something totally amazing as far as art goes. But it is very unlikely to happen because it would be a very high risk investment that no publisher at this point in time will be willing to make.

Then you got something like kickstarter, but even that wont allow for something of this scope. A lot of the goals on there are unrealistically low to begin with.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #49 on: August 10, 2013, 09:43:15 pm
All that's fascinating but pixel art technique exists right now and it can be taught right now and a wiki should mirror that history, not hypothesize on 'what should change so more great pixel art arrives in future products'.