AuthorTopic: Autumn - C64 Picture  (Read 14192 times)

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Re: Autumn - C64 Picture

Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 01:23:19 am
Somehow, I want to keep the trees. Also when there is a Horizon line: I don't want
to cut off the picture at that point, because the bay also would be gone etc.
Changes?

- the path infront the house got grey1 shadow
- the house got shortened on the roof giving better perspective?
- some holes in the pavement
- puddles of leaves near fence, trees and elsewhere

I would say I leave it like this, but I guess more must be done, or..

Johan aka JSL

ps: now I just saw the shadow of the path, is a bit too long..

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 01:48:11 am
I found the house more convincing now. If you want some ideas on rewriting the perspective, keeping the trees visible, I think a good old railroad one point perspective like this one could fit your needs:
http://globalcitizenblog.com/wp-content/uploads/globalcitizen/railroad_tracks414.jpg

I also found something to illustrate the perspective issue with your floor tiles (diagonals instead of verticals):
http://painting.about.com/od/composition/ss/perspective-paintings_2.htm

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 08:41:48 am
Anarkhya:

A railroad is a good idea, and lots of work to implement in the path now. But, I don't know if you thought about it, when a Railroad is in the middle, it is a bit stupid having a pathway from the door of the house into the railroad. ;)

Johan

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 11:09:23 am
He doesnt actually mean put a railway there, just use the same perspective as the rail way.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 02:26:05 pm
@jSl:
hehe well, yes indeed, what Mr. Fahrenheit said, I mentioned the railroad because it seems to be a  classic stuff to learn what one point perspective involves in terms of lines and deformations, and since you have a straight path going to the horizon in your piece, it reminded me of a railroad.  ;D

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 04:50:34 pm
Like I said to Saimo on CSDb.. I will adjust the path from the house/shadow of the house. And to me this sounds, like "Autumn" is somehow to be stated "Final", I had in mind to add some Black on some leaves, but looking at how many leaves are at the ground, it is insane adding some Black pixels. Maybe the leaves are just fine here now.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 04:52:16 pm
JSL, from your PM I understand that you're a bit confused. Let me make a little recap of what's been said above  ;)

Perspective: it is off and you started fixing it by modifying the house (:y:); however, some major things remain to be fixed: the tiles (their direction has to follow the traces indicated by Helm and their distance must be redefined better, as conceptually indicated by the railroad) and the trees (their distance and size should reduce progressively).
Personal addition: the slanted lines you used for the house suggest a rather extreme perspective, which is not followed by the rest; I'd rather change the perspective of the house than all the rest.

Shadows: they need to be oriented and resized consistently (and I'd also rework the shading of the trees, because, given the direction of the light, they're mostly in shadow).

Leaves: their distribution is too regular: collect them close to the posts and the roots, and make them more sparse elsewhere.

P.S.: the horizontal line traced by Helm only indicates the horizon implied by the perspective of the house: it didn't mean that the picture should be cut there.

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 27, 2013, 01:05:13 pm
So basically it is this:

-change perspective of the house
-reduce the size of the trees
-change the shadows of the trees
-change the tiles

Change the perspective of the house: Whats wrong with the house, I thought
the house now seems OK. Then also I don't want to resize the trees, I like
the trees how they are now. ;) And about the tiles: They are smaller in the
back and bigger infront, I don't know how to improve them, to me they're just
fine. Why everything must be perfect. And the shadows of the trees, again, are
just fine to call. I just have the feeling, the picture is final. And Saimo,
among others, say it isn't.

Even I don't know if it was good to join Pixelation, everything to push further
and further while I think it is Final, you guys know the difference, that some
things must be perfect.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 27, 2013, 02:38:06 pm
Well, I believe we're going into the giving-and-receiving-critiques topic.

Let me try to sum up how I think things are running here: When you submit a picture, you'll receive possibly tons of advices, feelings, edits, directions that might even be contradictory because everyone is looking at your piece with their own art background, skill levels, understandings, tastes and so on. Now, on your side, we're not forcing you to comply with everything we suggest, it is your (hard) decision to take and apply or not what has been suggested, not everyone has the time nor the will to go on forever with a piece, because, you know, there are high chances that considering the amount of C'n'C on this board,  your piece will continue to receive attention until you call for a stop and tell us you're done with your piece.

So, basically, you submit a picture, we're devouring it, you choose what pieces of meat you're bringing at home :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 03:12:18 pm by Anarkhya »

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #19 on: July 27, 2013, 04:08:35 pm
@jsl

On top of what Anarkhya rightfully said, let me add that, on the other hand, ignoring or refusing to understand critique does no good to the piece (because the flaws remain), to the artist (because he doesn't learn and improve) and to future pieces (people won't feel like dedicating their time to somebody who has not paid due attention to the suggestions given on previous occasions).

Now, back to the piece...
Maybe it's a language barrier problem, but please read again thoroughly what has been told you.

About perspective: what you did to the house slightly improved things, but did not fix them. Roughly, the house follows a rather extreme perspective, the rest a milder one. You can choose to either fix the perspective of the tiles and trees (by changing their spacing/sizes), or that of the house - I personally believe that it's much easier and better-resulting to change the perspective of the house (it should never reach a perfectly horizontal level).
By the way, no matter what you change, the vertical sides of the tiles can't be perfectly vertical (but must follow the vanishing lines as indicated by Helm's traces) and their height needs some tweaking fixing anyway.

About the shadows: it's not just those of the trees, but all of them. Their sizes and directions are not consistent.

About the trees: the barks are mostly in their own shadow, so they can't have those highlights and bright areas.

Additionally, other things have been said (and some unsaid, but that's another story ;)): they are all in the previous posts for you to consider.

Why everything must be perfect.

Because if you don't strive for perfection you'll never become great (and probably won't even get any better).
And don't expect it to reach it any soon and, actually, don't expect it to reach it at all: we're humans, and we'll never be perfect. But that's good news, because it means that there will always be something you can get better at.

Even I don't know if it was good to join Pixelation, everything to push further
and further while I think it is Final, you guys know the difference, that some
things must be perfect.

You can call it final anytime you want, but if you don't fix the flaws that have been pointed out, it will remain flawed. Please, again, read carefully what has been told you and, if something is not clear, ask.