AuthorTopic: Autumn - C64 Picture  (Read 14301 times)

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Autumn - C64 Picture

on: July 25, 2013, 08:50:03 am
Alltough I say this picture is Final to me, and soon for Upload on the CSDb.. Maybe you guys have some tips on what could have been better. It is the thing that, two persons in C64 scene told me that the perspective of the house is somewhat wrong.

Thanks Crow, it worked out fine with Imgur. ;)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:54:07 am by jsl »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Autumn - C64 Picture

Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:05:13 am
Upload somewhere, then put the url between [*img] and [*/img] tags (without the *)

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:22:59 am
So directly posting images on Pixelation can't be? It has to be with an Url, well.. I even have no sites where I could post, so Pixelation might not be the thing for me, like Saimo said..

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:26:46 am
Check out this thread. imgur is probably your best bet for hosting.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 01:28:37 pm
perspective of the house is somewhat wrong.

I agree, the rooftop especially shouldn't be horizontal, but there may be other objects that are drawn the wrong way, I think you need to trace your vanishing lines and horizon line on top of this drawing to have a clear view on what's wrong.

This is the sort of grid you need to undertand the direction of your lines: http://0.tqn.com/d/drawsketch/1/0/8/O/perpsective8example3.jpg
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 01:43:17 pm by Anarkhya »

Offline Yngar

• Part-time Ludologist
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:31:57 pm
I like your use of the C64 palette. The left side looks a lot better than the right in my opinion (once the perspective gets fixed). The leaves on the ground on the right are a little too repetitively spaced out. Maybe make the leaves more sparse, but piled up in places like under the trees, and against fence posts where leaves would realistically pile up with a light breeze.

In addition to the perspective of the house, the perspective on the stones in the road should be changed accordingly.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 05:49:11 pm

This is the perspective issue with the floor tiling. Also the red line there indicated by how the lines converge from the perspective on the building, mean that your horison line is there. So you'd have to angle down the trees a bit more and also foreshorten them towards the distance more. I like the image, otherwise. I even like it with the flat floor tiles as a symbolic effect, but you should learn to do it right either way.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 06:20:41 pm
JSL, well done again for posting here :y:

Let me add one comment about the shadows. They suffer from a problem similar to the perspective of objects: they're not consistent neither direction-wise, nor length-wise:

(length issues not indicated)

Also, you have a strange thing going on with the house shadow: it's restricted to the low grass.

I'm glad that you managed to convey the "solidity" of the tree trunks: that's the way to go! (But the shading needs to be more consistent with the light source: at the moment you have highlights and bright sides in zones where there should be shadow.)

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 09:45:19 pm
Hey all..

And I thought the picture was FINAL. I don't know how to angle down the trees.. Resize them? So, getting the shadows in place. And even with the "lines" from Helm, I want the drainpipe still in it, if I add that on top of the highest line, then the house looks quite small. I could ofcourse give it a try for second time, but maybe my second approach in adjusting things, might turn out wrongly. And actually, as graphician, I had in mind the picture was final. Help on pictures pixeling is appreciated, but even when I do the changes to this picture, the votes and comments on CSDb will be worse, with or without changes. Will loadup the picture now in Amica Paint.

Oh and whats wrong with the tiles, I just have bigger ones infront, and smaller ones in the back.

Johan aka JSL
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 09:58:09 pm by jsl »

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 12:42:05 am
And I thought the picture was FINAL.
Welcome to the arena, everything "final" is never "final" enough here :D

if I add that on top of the highest line, then the house looks quite small.
The lines supplied by Helm are a hint on what could be the perspective in your drawing (based on some of your vanishing lines), it's not too late to change them, to adjust the camera angle, in order to offer another point of view that could give a composition that would fit your needs. But I know it can be quite frustrating or tedious to modify the whole perspective of a finished drawing, that's why for any work you'll start that is based on a visible perspective, set up the camera properly first is a must.