AuthorTopic: Autumn - C64 Picture  (Read 14199 times)

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Re: Autumn - C64 Picture

Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 05:45:59 pm
I want to name it "FINAL", you must know, make the trees smaller, adding other sort of tiles, removing the house and make a new house, fix the shadows when I even think they're quite allright, all this stuff to do........What I want to say is, why doing heaps of work, and when the picture hits CSDb, then the Sceners just vote a 3, and a 5, and more 1's. And comment that it is just another dull picture by JSL, and it's crap. Getting an overall score of 5. And we just continue to the next pixel work which gets uploaded. It is, they don't like JSL. Like said, doing heaps of work on this picture just results in bad comments, bad downvotes, etc. - Just see when I upload it. I think doing the things to this picture, isn't worth it. When it hits CSDb, it will be another crap
picture like I am delivering all the time.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 06:44:36 pm
I want to name it "FINAL", you must know, make the trees smaller, adding other sort of tiles, removing the house and make a new house, fix the shadows when I even think they're quite allright, all this stuff to do........What I want to say is, why doing heaps of work, and when the picture hits CSDb, then the Sceners just vote a 3, and a 5, and more 1's. And comment that it is just another dull picture by JSL, and it's crap. Getting an overall score of 5. And we just continue to the next pixel work which gets uploaded. It is, they don't like JSL. Like said, doing heaps of work on this picture just results in bad comments, bad downvotes, etc. - Just see when I upload it. I think doing the things to this picture, isn't worth it. When it hits CSDb, it will be another crap

Man, do you care about the glory or do you deeply wish to get better? Do you have a passion for pixelling or for votes? If it's the former, then the answer to "why doing all that work" has already been given: to get better. If you get better, your pictures will get better (and votes will follow.) But that requires hard work. Or do you think that Michelangelo, or Beethoven, or Einstein, or Michael Jordan, you name it, were that good by luck? You can be sure that those people sweated blood to reach those levels (and never stopped doing it). And they did it because they had sheer passion for what they were doing.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 08:20:02 pm

Screwing up is unavoidable if you're an artist. At some point though, it's better in the end to say "I spent enough time on this piece. Moving on." With that sort of mindset you can call anything final as long as you got something from it. Take what you learned to make better stuff next time. Being an artist will be even harder if you're not comfortable with the idea that you're gonna make mistakes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:21:51 pm by Pix3M »

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 10:20:08 am
Hey All,

I updated "Autumn" with the shadow at the path/from house, and made
the picture final (made it executable for CSDb), typed out an Comment
for CSDb, and I guess that Saimo will reply on the release of "Autumn",
upload somewhen this coming week. Still, thanks for those who helped
out with advice. :)

Autumn:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 11:34:41 am
For what it's worth, here's what I meant with the perspective on the tiles.

Some further points of critique:

1. I chose a very high perspective point instead of the one I suggested in my prior edit, so it would mean the least amount of changes to the image as it is. I sympathize with your issue of having to reword everything. Here I chose to suggest that the house should be reworked. Obviously, a very rough edit, just to show what I mean, it's not pixel perfect and it certainly isn't mcol correct, but that's the easy part.

2. I gave a lot of love to the character in the middle as he's the supposed focal point of the image. I do think you should look into human anatomy and use reference for your images to come.

3. I did some sort of wash in the far background to suggest an autumn mood. Not very sure it's been successful, so take it or leave it.

4. An a final, broader point about your pessimism: We are more interested with motivating you to become better than we are interested to work against your psychological inertia. If you want to become a better pixel artist, this is the place. If you want emotional support, I'm not so sure. I sympathize with feelings of futility over artwork and all that, but I do think dwelling on scores in the csdb is bad for you and there should be a higher reason to make pictures.

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 06:14:04 pm
Helm:

Wonder what you did with that house, I think I still like my house better. However I do understand now the idea on the tiles, and I really want it this way too now as a last change, I see they are in Perspective, so if I fix my tiles in that way..and few pixels wrong is already out of perspective, the puppet you did, is amazingly better than mine, I won't steal it, as I have no means of stealing, I could loadup the PNG in Project1 to steal the puppet, but it's from your hand, so I won't steal. Could print the image, then copy the puppet, then still it is from your hand when I change him. The blue fade in the back, just doesn't appeal to me. I want to do two updates on the picture, that are the tiles in perspective and a new puppet walking there. Hope no faults happen. :)

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 08:23:13 pm
@jsl

Wonder what you did with that house,

He fixed the perspective so that it's consistent with the rest (as the previous posts indicated).

I think I still like my house better.

Please note that his is only a quick'n'dirty edit to show you the concept. If Helm wanted to redraw the house properly, the difference with your house would have been just as striking as the difference between the men.
I hope you don't take this as offensive, but it's necessary that you start understanding your limitations: as I've already told you multiple times, the "I'm already good" attitude keeps your wings tied.

Since you are willing to make other modifications, let me suggest a few other things:
 * the drainpipe is totally flat: you need to change its shading to make it look round;
 * the bird at the bottom left corner is the only element with outlines: ditch them;
 * the bird on the right is almost invisible due to poor color contrast: play with colors;
 * the animals (most notably the dog) are all in 1 color: I know the the MC limitations make it hard, but try to give them some depth by adding a hue or two.

@Helm

Thanks for the great edit.
But I must say I find the symmetrical positions of the limbs weird: knowing you, it has to be intentional, but I wouldn't want that to teach jsl the wrong way to draw walkcycles :D On the other hand, given that the dog is peeing (jsl, never seen a dog doing that in the middle of nowhere: conceptually I'd remove it, but it ends up being the strong point of the piece), the man isn't supposed to be walking, so the pose is slightly confusing.
(Sorry for nitpicking, but it's for jsl ;))

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 11:14:40 pm
regarding Helm's comment and work, and Saimo's follup.. Here the updates
to the picture right now:

- drainpipe, couldn't make much of it, but did changes.
- bird on bottom left is still there only now without outlines.
- tiles are now in perspective, hope no mistakes?
- dog is more coloured.
- there came a new puppet walking, I pixeled it myself, maybe not that perfect.
- a fade to blue and purple in the back of the path.
- here and there some changes, the door, the window, the poop.
- bird on the tree, perhaps any better.

I know that you guys wanted the trees in a smaller size, or the house in
some other shape, but removing the house and trees I won't do. ;P

Should be final now? Or?

Not sure yet about the puppet/dog's shadow.

Btw. I better don't post one of my last pictures, Cool Alien, I made there
some road in perspective, and some friend said it was out of perspective,
even while the buildings have shadows to the front, the shadow on the alien
is on the left, while he also has sunlight in his glasses. The only way
you understand the picture, is.. Let's say, there two suns in the sky.
Bugjam/The Dreams said he also used once two suns in his SciFi Pics.......
No, better don't post it, Cool Alien is final. :)

Autumn V4.3:

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 01:24:20 am
If you dont want to change the perspective of the house, you could just add a horizon to your picture so it is more in perspective and you would only have to change a few smaller things.

Sort of like this

Obviously the tree's would have to be adjusted, as would teh path a bit and the fence. It puts the house in perspective though.

Offline jsl

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 12:20:25 pm
I don't want to come over rude. And perhaps you guys just don't like my attitude. But I keep the picture now final as it is now. Adding a Horizon, gives me more updates, and I just like it this way with the Bay and the Path in full lenght. Ofcourse I got earlier the advice of the Horizon, but I want to end Autumn for now. ;)