AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Alien Soldier  (Read 3443 times)

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Alien Soldier

on: July 23, 2013, 12:35:39 pm

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Alien Soldier

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 01:56:33 pm
Maybe try moving the soldier and the sun to the thirds of the image. I think it'll help composition.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:27:13 pm
Seconding the thirds motion.

He reminds me of a rock soldier from TMNT.

Weapon looks WAY too flimsy for such a solid bulky dude. Imagine him using that on another guy just like him. Looks like it would shatter on the first strike.

The environment doesn't seem very alien.

Multiple suns.

Seems an awkward way to hold a shield.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 01:21:11 am
Wot they sed /\  + I'd actually flip the canvas round 'cos the landscape seems a bit like filler atm, and orange sky/purple dude is nice.

Pretty drastic example actually but bear with me; the idea being you mentioned previously feeling that your stuff was a bit bit vague or generic etc, and I think some part of the solution is 1. to be merciless expunging anything that's not contributing and 2. to milk something that is (contributing) with abandon; and usually some pattern of contrast or lighting is more fruitful than the subject proper.

*he's now iron man because I'm not fluent in robot/alien amour, see also gravity hammer.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:04:33 am by Facet »

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 08:25:12 pm
Of course, whenever I post something someone else shows how it could be done much better  :hehe:

Tried to make a new better concept, but I have doubts this is better:

Old concept, current version:

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:02:53 am
That's the plan, no?

What I was trying to say earlier is actually I think your original concept such as it appears is fine, (you'd have to talk it out a bit for much more specific relevant feedback) but you could still leverage what you already have more; new one is better lit, more action, but I don't know what that action is.

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 09:53:02 am
The old one looked like he was surveying the area, the new one simply looks out of place.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 10:41:21 am
"Post your pixelart for constructive feedback and help others with their art."

I think you should've had it coming =)

I kept the weapon and shield but changed the view to a bit more distant one. It helps getting rid off those big
 areas that might be a bitch to finish or it takes a long time to and even longer to make interesting.

There is also something weird with his pose. It's too random and too bulky. And the old one didn't look like he was surveying, he looked more surprised then anything else.

I noticed you've started going into very small details, especially on the weapon when you have not even finished polishing the concept. It usually ends up in you getting tired off it when you need to change something in the picture because it gets very messy and you have already put a lot of effort and time into it. Try keeping it in the right "frame" and don't rush ahead when there still are things uncertain in the current state.

Also the use of colours could be more interesting and help you make the scene more effectful, instead of just using a brighter or darker version of the colour you've got try grabbing suitable colours from elsewhere and apply.

Hope it helps on your progress!

/coffee

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 11:03:37 am by coffee »