AuthorTopic: 8 Frame Walking Animation - First Time!  (Read 9194 times)

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

8 Frame Walking Animation - First Time!

on: July 23, 2013, 08:01:50 am

I'm practicing animating & wanted to try to make a larger sprite with many frames of animation. I just have the basic outline here, I wanted to make sure everything looked ok before I moved on to shading! Is it smooth enough? Is the head bouncing at the right time?

Offline Yngar

• Part-time Ludologist
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Re: 8 Frame Walking Animation - First Time!

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 08:41:47 am
I noticed a few things looking at this.

Firstly with the head bounce. It looks kind of strange that the head would be bouncing but the shoulders stay still. The only reason the head should bob like that would be because the whole body is moving, and the head is following the spine.
This leads into my second comment, the whole thing looks very slidey, move that body some. The head should be connected to the movement of the shoulders, and maybe have a bit of delay as it adjusts to the bounce of the whole body.

The last thing is the hands. Its probably because the shoulders are so narrow compared to the hips, but it looks like his hands are just rubbing the sides of his hips instead of hanging freely. You have included some anatomy here that leads me to assume that this is a male figure, but the profile looks very feminine because of those wide hips and tiny shoulders.
Either way, the arms would probably look better going straight back and forward, with a little motion toward the inside at the apex of the arm swing.

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 08:18:23 am

Is it looking better? Not sure how much muscle mass to show here, I don't want some big beefcake but I do want some muscles...

Offline Yngar

• Part-time Ludologist
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 02:37:51 pm
Its definitely looking better. That muscle flash thing is kind of terrifying. I think the form needs a little more work before you go into muscle shading (also that muscle shading is a little too intense).
I think the legs could use more definition, especially around the calves and feet. He kind of has elephant feet at the moment. The line across his hips also doesn't need to be there.

Offline birkka

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:37:02 pm
it look like ragnarok online characters

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 08:31:05 am

Wondering if I should add another shade of in-between skin tones for the shadows... Everything looking alright?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 08:47:35 am
You gotta have at least 3 shades. Right now, you lack a highlight.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 09:13:01 am

He's still cat-walking a lot! Imho, it would work better if the feet would stay in their own line rather than trying to move towards the center.

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 12:32:26 pm
See here for an animated model (wireframe) of motion capture of people walking:
http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html
You'll notice that the leg-bones supporting the person's weight stay straight from hip to ankle, though not vertical, it's only when it's coming back forward that the knee shifts aside in a kind of circular motion to avoid the other leg.

Offline Peltast

• @PeltastDesign
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 03:05:46 pm
I think part of what adds to the "slidey" feel is a weird horizontal motion of the hips from side to side.  If you walk yourself, or you check the mocap that yrizoud posted, the hips don't move horizontally at all, or at least no more than the rest of the spine does -- they just rotate in place slightly to shift the amount of weight put on either leg.