AuthorTopic: [WIP] Action-Adventure, sprites&tiles.  (Read 3186 times)

Offline Neo Berserker

• View Profile

[WIP] Action-Adventure, sprites&tiles.

on: July 22, 2013, 06:22:27 pm
Hello guys, recently i've been making some sprites for a possible zelda-like, i'm not very experienced so i pretty much go with my instinct. I intend to give it simplistic style.

Here's the player character which i tried to animate.

A slime.

Flinch

And here's a small mock up.

Any C&C very appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:44:17 am by Neo Berserker »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [WIP] Action-Adventure, sprites&tiles.

Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 09:59:29 am
You've got a very nice tree and setting to start with. Take care that your character need to keep in-perspective even when moving sideways. I.e., his feet won't be on the same line and his belt/hat will not be a horizontal line, but slightly curved lines, since he's not exactly facing sideways, but still slightly facing us, as a skilled actor.

I think your (sword?) attack needs to be reworked, though: it's likely to be the #1 offensive move, and as such, clearly identifiable hitboxes are a must.

Link's sword attack clearly target the tile *īn front of* link. You can clearly see whether your attack miss or hit the target, and optimize your position before hitting the attack button next time. Other attack frames are built as a support for that gameplay-critical moment. Of course, all this is of lesser importance in a turn-based RPG.

Offline Neo Berserker

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 12:34:09 am
Oh gee, thanks for the reply. I tried to follow your advise and made some edits, not sure if i still need to make the attack reach further to the next tile so it looks/works better. Also added an attack state to the slime.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 07:00:20 am
Ive made a bunch of zelda type games over the years and Ive found that the sword definetly ought to extend fully into the next tile, as it does in zelda.  If you have to stand too close to the enemy to attack it it makes the game tedious and frustrating in my opinion. 
This is a little more difficult to draw for the north and south facing sprites, but again, zelda is a good reference for you to do it.  Youll notice that link steps forward with one foot, then leans his body into the attack.  I think in lttp the length of the sword even increases on its last frame just to give it that extra length needed to move fully into the tile.
Right now I think your guy is a little too jumpy and it would look wierd in game if you are attacking repeatidly.  Try not having him jump forward, but rather step forward with 1 foot and lean the body in.
You might try adding 1 more frame.  I think its good how you have it go right into the full swing frame, so it doesnt look sluggish, but maybe a follow up frame to smooth it out.

Offline Neo Berserker

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 01:01:20 am
Ohkay, another edit.

Edit: This time i remade the basic attack again, i think this might work for now, i know it has some issues so i'll probably get back to these.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:54:57 pm by Neo Berserker »