AuthorTopic: Art direction WIP  (Read 10015 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: Art direction WIP

Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 08:44:40 pm
Works fine for more complex structures, was just too lazy to chuck them in. The only real issue is nicely representing doors in vertical walls.

If you want it to feel board-gamey I'd keep the discs simple and readable. Probably just a simply rendered portrait of the face.
I'd make the pick-ups, such as the food, discs as well.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:14:41 pm by surt »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 09:44:00 pm
This is what I mean by using a solid color with only patches of texture here and here. Notice the mockup with the blue floor and how there's only indications of stone texture here and there.

Offline Yngar

• Part-time Ludologist
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Reply #12 on: July 19, 2013, 02:24:48 am
Awesome suggestions. I think the discs for all interactable items is a good idea and the portraits should work fine. Also I love those tiles, I will definitely be using those angles.
Also those floors are beatiful Mathias I will totally do something like that, it really cleans up the look.

What do you think of this for the player disc?

I want to put some more work into the disc itself, maybe give it a color to show that its the player, and possibly some texture on it. I will have to keep any texture simple so it doesn't get muddled up when its rotating.
Maybe it would be better if I didn't try to fit the entire head in so I could have more room for the face, that helmet takes up a lot of room.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 19, 2013, 02:42:57 am
Honestly, it's very hard to read for me. =(
Your non-pixel-art version was actually the easiest to read for me! DX
I'd definitely recommend a closer view of her face. I think it's okay to cut out a lot of the helmet in the portrait.
Have you thought of using symbols for the characters, instead of portraits? You could use her lamp or sword or something. Bones or skulls for the skeletons, etc.
It might be easier to make the discs readable that way, but it might also be a little boring. Food for thought, though. =)

I like your brown color palette, even though it seems not everyone completely loves it. I personally think it fits the dungeon theme well, without being too gloomy. Reminds me of a NEO-GEO game or something, which is always a good thing to me. =)
I like the idea of the game a lot, too. Unique, and it sounds fun!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:48:03 am by jams0988 »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 03:23:48 am
. . .

. . .
llshadow 's stuff is indeed very clean. But he's also a very advanced pixeller. But likewise, with his clean floors, consider applying that same sort of thinking to your character disc portraits. You're trying to crap in too much grainy detail. Think cartoon. Think cell-shaded. Simplify.

Offline Yngar

• Part-time Ludologist
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 05:18:13 am
Honestly, it's very hard to read for me. =(
Your non-pixel-art version was actually the easiest to read for me! DX
I know thats whats killing me, I have been trying to make something that looks as good as that.

Have you thought of using symbols for the characters, instead of portraits? You could use her lamp or sword or something. Bones or skulls for the skeletons, etc.
It might be easier to make the discs readable that way, but it might also be a little boring. Food for thought, though. =)
I have thought about that but yeah I don't think it would look very interesting and it might not convey the idea that the character is represented by the disc.
I like your brown color palette, even though it seems not everyone completely loves it. I personally think it fits the dungeon theme well, without being too gloomy. Reminds me of a NEO-GEO game or something, which is always a good thing to me. =)
I like the idea of the game a lot, too. Unique, and it sounds fun!
Thanks! I want to get this polished enough to actually be fun instead of just being a neat idea.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to try to have something to show for it all tomorrow when I have some time. I have a lot of work ahead of me but I think this has really got me on the right track.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 05:32:45 am
I was thinking something more along these lines:

Offline Yngar

• Part-time Ludologist
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 05:36:26 am
I was thinking something more along these lines:

Well shit dude... you want to just do the art for this thing? You have already turned out a lot more than I could do in days. That looks really good.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 06:13:50 am
Don't know about that but feel free to make any use of this you wish.
Here's the elements against trans. I couldn't be arsed extracting a proper tileset though.

Offline Yngar

• Part-time Ludologist
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 03:01:09 pm
 :lol: I will definitely be using a lot of that in some form or another.