AuthorTopic: [C+C] [WIP] Typical Tree Thingy  (Read 2633 times)

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

[C+C] [WIP] Typical Tree Thingy

on: July 20, 2013, 08:54:33 pm

Yep, some trees, some vague lighting and some sillouhetes. Again. I would love to make something different, but I feel a bit limited and whenever I try to it just doesn't look good enough, being a bit discouraging.
I am not really sure what I want to make out of this, so some suggestions would be great.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:13:52 pm by Mr. Beast »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Typical Tree Thingy

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:39:48 pm
I think it looks pretty cool. It looks like a background that is missing something to focus on in the foreground, such as a lone figure standing there watching the horizon.

My suggestion is - have an actual plan in mind before setting out to create a new work. Randomness is fine is you're just practicing/messing around. But if you're really trying to create something significant, plan it. Do sketches. Define your scope. Don't just sit down and expect to be able to randomly crank out gold. It usually doesn't happen that way.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:51:02 pm
The colours are really good. I like the sharp line between the ground and the sky on the left and in the middle.

However, the purple-ish haze in the bakground behind the trees breaks it up, and is quite distracting. I say either spread that hazyness out all the way to the top (maybe letting it intrude just a bit into the bright left), and put in more trees as to make it appear more as a dark, dense forest (maybe only letting the orange light break through as a couple of rays).

Consider the proportions of the leftmost branch in relation to the trunk. It's quite hefty, almost as thick as the trunk. Yet it appears to be very short, as it's suddenly cut off by a rather small cluster of leaves. Realistically, such a branch would go farther than the point were the leaves at the left currently end, I think.

I hope I'm making sense. :-X
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 03:03:50 pm
I always had the problem that I wasn't fluent enough in pixel art to plan ahead/sketch properly. I tried to fix it by using bigger brushes and generally faster techniques, but that didn't really help all that much because the dynamics were lacking. I had a tablet all year long, but didn't use it for PA because I doubted that it would be more efficient. So now I just tried it, and wow, that changes everything, such beautiful clusters and shapes with so little work :-[

I feel stupid for not trying that earlier :-X

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:50:23 pm by Mr. Beast »