AuthorTopic: Next Commercial Critique (July) Suggestions  (Read 52796 times)

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Re: Next Commercial Critique (July) Suggestions

Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 06:09:59 am
a Freeform CC would be interesting. Comparative analysis can provide depth that you wouldn't normally get looking at a piece on its own. I also think we should back up what we have now into the wiki.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 09:04:41 am
well, I defintively must have been there for the Boktai analysis thread, and I must say it musnt have been very good because I remember it.

I remember a topic where I went and said a few things about the vision of kojima and why he was doing boktai, I made an speculation over the reason some of the screens were fogged, and that was it as far as actual color and aesthetic critique went.

The rest must have been all about the 45º angle in the planometric tiles of boktai, because I lost interest fast.

I think it probably must have been the biggest thing here for the people who are into iso and stuff but I just dont care for it :p.

eitherway, this happened before boktai even was a out, and covered a little of the time when it was actually out....none of the aesthetic choices were ever adressed, so I dont even count it as a real CC.

I dont see the reason it shouldnt be re-CCed, not to mention I know atleast I and surely Adam have something to say about this game. I have a pretty good collection of savestates for the 2nd one, I have some screenshts, and I am starting a savestate collection on the third, but I think just one screenshot could lend a lot elements for us to fill up a thread simply because of the very bold design choices made in this game.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 10:39:22 pm
How about comparing the techniques in pixel art to some techniques in traditional art and trying to see how to get the same general aesthetic from one medium to the other? Or if not, I vote Yoshi's Island.

Will a CC challenge accompany this one too?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: July 09, 2006, 10:55:44 pm
Doesn't one always?

I for one care little on how techniques translate from one artistic medium to another.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 01:06:56 am
Captain Blood *
Creatures *
Exile *
Mayhem in Monsterland (c64) *
Earthworm Jim ****
Commander Keen *
Secret of Mana *
Metal slug *
The Immortal **
Comix Zone *
Boktai **
Yoshi's Island ***
Blaster Master *
Batman 1 *
Star Ocean Blue *
Flashback *
Ruff 'n' Tumble (Amiga) *
Freeform CC **

those are the current suggestions I think.. the * symbols represent votes and such.
hopefully i counted right..
seems earthworm jim is in the lead, and I remember it being mentioned in the past as well. I'd say just go with that.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 01:30:52 am
Freeform
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 09:30:10 am
Tyrian.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 01:41:13 pm
Ok, for now I think it's better we do a Game based CC. I'm fine with it being EWJ...I've expected for it some time, plus I got a couple of big big map captures and a few anims.

The freeform idea is still not ripe, so I'm gonna make a discussion topic like Helm suggested.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1566.msg18891#msg18891

I think this would work best if we focused on an aspect or a technique of pixeling rather than just making it a CC with no real topic, that way everyone could apport from their own experience, the topic would better develop a single idea and we still can suggest good games in which to look up examples of the technique/principle we are focusing on.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 03:46:44 pm by Conceit »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 02:18:44 pm
The Immortal is a great game, but pixel-art wise it's pretty bland (nice animation, though) so I can't vote for that. I love Tyrian but it's mostly painted (in Dpaint, but still), not pixelled if I remember. Mayhem in Monsterland would be good topic if people here appreciated the technical wizardry invovled in making it look like it does, but I don't think they do.

Earthworm Jim is a wonder of tilage, and very pretty considering it's on the mega drive. I guess I'll vote for that myself.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 03:54:06 pm
I am with helmo here. I would like to see Mayhem in Monsterland but many people prolly dont go that far back so they would be a bit wtf.

So i am for EWJ as well, but i would say the SNES version as that is much prettier than the Mega Drive one.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.