AuthorTopic: Next Commercial Critique (July) Suggestions  (Read 52802 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Next Commercial Critique (July) Suggestions

Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 07:04:27 am
go TAKAM =O.

Boktai is very very good. and the style has improved with every entry in the series, I just got Boktai3 (Shin Bokura no Taiyou: Gyakushuu no Sabata) and it imrpoves a lot on the style, the variation tiles are used in a diferent way, and they even updated the main character' sprite! Django looks a hell of a lot more like Django now.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 07:59:47 am
Boktai's brilliant, but we sorta did that one on Pixelation (I think it was the 1st or 2nd one of these). Still, maybe it warrants a retread. EW Jim would be great, for BGs and animations. I'd like to throw in "Flashback: the Quest for Identity" as another suggestion.

- Adam

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 08:14:45 am
Ruff 'n' Tumble (Amiga), if it hasn't been done yet.
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 10:00:00 am
Flashback was the first one we did (when Tsu was still around, Darion was Darion and so on) and I remember participating heavily. Before your time, Adam? As much as I'd like to talk about Flashback again, I think, tiling tricks aside (and there are many!) the pixelling in it is a bit too high-end for a lot of people to benefit from studying them. And it starts with the jungle level which has the best pixel art tiles on any platformer on any 16-bit system ever, it's such a tour de force you don't know where to start with it. The rest of the game (besides the alien world which is zany as hell again) is comparatively more tame, but still I think a couple of semesters on design and applied art are in order before someone has anything to learn from Flashback. Sure, we could (as I did, for years) ape the stylistics shallowly (oh look! layers of abstracted jungle in the background!), but for understanding why it's like it is, it takes more knowledge and most of us have.

Which is why I suggest more scaled down stuff like c64 games or early amiga. The restrictions made them be innovative, but in a way most of us can follow. Then again, just thinking about Flashback makes me all giddy inside.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 10:02:18 am by Helm »

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 10:53:41 am
Darion was Darion, haha. Ptoing actually promised me to replace my nick with something really nasty, but i suppose he'll just leave it to 'elchs'

i don't think it was before adams time, he made me register over at the first pixelation that came right after gdr, somewhere around september 02, and i do remember the flashback discussion.

anyways, does anybody actually have any backups of the earlier ones (sword of mana, boktai, flashback of course and all the others i've forgotten by now)? or the various style analyses of tanuki x in the serious critique section?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #15 on: July 08, 2006, 12:27:32 pm
Well helm, how about we do it whitout holding back? whoever has to look up new concepts to understand what you got to say about flashback should just look it up, but I dont think it's excusable to pass on something you have so much to say about, you studied it for years, how about you show us why you concluded you werent capable of duplicating it?

How...how about we give it a try to a freeform Comercial Critique? I think we could just...pick a topic like, I dont know tile function readability and use examples from any games necesary, that way anyone that has anything significant to say about any game can put his 2 cents
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 12:36:49 am by Conceit »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #16 on: July 08, 2006, 01:16:42 pm
Nice idea Conceit

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 08, 2006, 01:47:31 pm
The Immortal has some great things So i vote for it!
god you should see the main screen and the music!!!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 12:53:42 am
whoever has to look up new concepts to understand what you got to say about flashback should just look it up,

It's not about what I have to say being over the heads of the users, it's about Flashback being over my head, most of the time. The most pretty thing about the style of delphine's work at that time was that there was actually a style: art direction, not just good pixels or good tiles or good animation. Art direction, that translates into emotional states and aesthetic cohesion. And that's something I for one do not have the ability to critique. I can feel it, and I can try to talk about it, but I can't give any concrete ideas about any of it like I could give you about selout or dithering. Anyone who can, can be my guest.

but I dont think it's excusable to pass on something you have so much to say about, you studied it for years, how about you show us why you concluded you werent capable of duplicating it?

I've studied Flashback intensely (I call intense pixel study checking up on actual RGB values of colors against each other and per tile break-up and so on) for a week or so. I've enjoyed it for many years though, that's not the same thing. I wasn't capable of duplicating it because aping a series of stylistic choices, and actually experiencing and putting for an original aesthetic statement are by far not the same thing either.

How...how about we give it a try to a freeform Comercial Critique? I think we could just...pick a topic like, I dont know tile function readability and use examples from any games necesary, that way anyone that has anything significant to say about any game can put his 2 cents

more open-type stuff usually fails due to lack of interest by the users. If there's more votes for something of the kind I'll make the thread. So if you're in favour or this freeform Commercial Critique, say so, and also supply a general topic to be discussed therein.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 01:48:31 am
Flashback was the first one we did (when Tsu was still around, Darion was Darion and so on) and I remember participating heavily. Before your time, Adam?

Might have been. The first two I recall were Boktai and Clocktower.

- Adam