AuthorTopic: Pixel art genres  (Read 50881 times)

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: Pixel art genres

Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 01:06:42 pm
Where are the Asian pixelling communities out there?

I think it may also be worth knowing that there is the possibility that the subtle things that makes 'Asian' pixel art the way it is could stem from Asian culture and not necessarily from pixelling communities.

The vector style is also interesting as there are at least two styles within that style. There's the ones who literally go for a vector-like look like my own avatar, then there's the ones that are practically oekaki-like such as snowk's recent pixel art.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:53:09 pm by Pix3M »

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9092.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 01:24:18 pm
@Jeremy, Pel's profile states he lives in Tokyo, not China

Where are the Asian pixelling communities out there?

As far as I am aware the Japanese hang out at Pixiv.net, which is a bit like deviantart
Some galleries here, here and here for random stuff
Make sure to register and login to see all the prettyness :)
Anyone who speaks japanese and can direct us to more pixels?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 03:29:02 pm
Why did this have to be pixel art? Would have looked just as impressive in another medium

The Demoscene specifically was a digital scene, and back in its hayday pixelart was the only game in town. It was not though of as pixelart is thought of today, it was just that back then the computers had lower resolutions and fewer colours to throw around.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 03:34:55 pm
Is there a website where one could view demoscene stuff. I've tried looking around a little and can't ever find one.

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 03:38:01 pm
The Demoscene specifically was a digital scene, and back in its hayday pixelart was the only game in town. It was not though of as pixelart is thought of today, it was just that back then the computers had lower resolutions and fewer colours to throw around.
True that. I also understand the nostalgic style that the demo scene started which is one of the reasons people still make this kind of art.
For the other two works that I linked to: Both show a lot of control over their medium. If you are this skilled in pixel art I would also consider making everything I ever make in pixel art. Yet I don't like them more than similar NPA works, even though I usually have this extra appreciation trigger for pa. Somehow my respect for the pixel skill goes lost when I feel a similar result could have been achieved in other media...

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 06:06:42 pm
I spotted a trend!
Of course straight, 45 and 26.6 (2:1) lines have always been around but it seems that more and more people know how to apply them on a scale where they don't go too noticed (like in chunkfunk) but where they also are not neccesary (like in tiny sprites)

For example this, a3um's gallery, this or MRMO

I originally became aware of this just before interviewing Mrmo, but now I notice these things everywhere. Is this a genre, a movement, do we have a name for it? Or have I been blind and has it always been around so much?

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 06:09:38 pm
Is this a genre, a movement, do we have a name for it?

Do we need a name for it? Does it have to be a genre or a movement? I really don't think so. It's art. To be precise, pixel art. Do you really want to categorize this even further? I can see this ending up just like Metal genres, where people are arguing about what genre a specific song belongs to all the time.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 06:50:18 pm
I too don't understand this need to scientifically categorize art. Why.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 07:31:04 pm
I too don't understand this need to scientifically categorize art. Why.

It's probably the same psychology business as stereotyping.

Stereotypes can help make sense of the world. They are a form of categorization which helps to simplify and systematize information so the information is easier to be identified, recalled, predicted, and reacted to. Stereotypes are categories of objects or people. Between stereotypes, objects or people are as different from each other as possible. Within stereotypes, objects or people are as similar to each other as possible.

As to why people find it easier to understand categorized information, Gordon Allport has suggested possible answers in his 1954 publication: First, people can consult the category of something for ways to respond to that thing. Second, things are more specific when they are in a category than when they are not, because categorization accentuates properties that are shared by all members of a group. Third, people can readily describe things in a category, because, fourth and related, things in the same category have distinct characteristics. Finally, people can take for granted the characteristics of a particular category because the category itself may be an arbitrary grouping.

Moreover, stereotypes function as time- and energy-savers which allow people to act more efficiently. David Hamilton's 1981 publication gave rise to the view that stereotypes are people's biased perceptions of their social contexts. In this view, people use stereotypes as shortcuts to make sense of their social contexts, and this makes people's task of understanding their world less cognitively demanding.

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 07:41:22 pm
I supersecond Phlakes quote.
And no, I don't know if is beneficial yet. Connecting the dots might open new realisations. Generalisations might make it easier to talk about. This could be good or bad for the development of an artform, I don't know.