AuthorTopic: Space Coelacanth (WIP) Help Appreciated!  (Read 3664 times)

Offline guskooyman

• View Profile

Space Coelacanth (WIP) Help Appreciated!

on: July 11, 2013, 01:31:13 am
Well I haven't posted here in a while. Unfortunately last time I did, I gave up on my piece soon afterward.
Anyway, this is something I started a couple months ago for a challenge on Pixel Joint, I ran out of time and quit working on it though. I finally decided to try to finish it, but I think I might need some help.

One of the biggest problems I've had with this piece is the lack of depth. It just looks too flat for me. Of course the shading's not done, so I'm going to be working on that right now. But if I can get any suggestions in the mean-time it would really help.

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Re: Space Coelacanth (WIP) Help Appreciated!

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 06:47:33 am
Just my opinion, but that background looks way to bright and interfering
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline guskooyman

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 06:09:14 pm
The background was sort of an afterthought, and I think that's part of the problem with this. I really had no idea what to put back there.

Offline Wallie988

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:39:46 pm
The background was sort of an afterthought, and I think that's part of the problem with this. I really had no idea what to put back there.
I like the background - makes the fish stand out. Maybe you could add a bit of color - make a nebula?

Offline guskooyman

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 09:41:38 pm
Okay, this may seem anti-productive, but I drastically changed the composition and scrapped a good chunk of the piece. I think this will really help in the long run. I'm still using the same color palette, but I want to think of a better background because random dithered shapes just weren't doing it for me. The rocks are also a little boring, but I can't think of anything else that floats around in space. Anyway, here's what I got right now.

Edit:
@Wallie988 A nebula would look cool, but I really have no idea how to go about something like that. I'm not good with those types of effects.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 09:43:37 pm by guskooyman »

Offline Wallie988

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 12:24:06 am
Okay, this may seem anti-productive, but I drastically changed the composition and scrapped a good chunk of the piece. I think this will really help in the long run. I'm still using the same color palette, but I want to think of a better background because random dithered shapes just weren't doing it for me. The rocks are also a little boring, but I can't think of anything else that floats around in space. Anyway, here's what I got right now.

Edit:
@Wallie988 A nebula would look cool, but I really have no idea how to go about something like that. I'm not good with those types of effects.
Hmm.. galaxies, solar syatems, black holes, what about commets?

Offline guskooyman

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 04:49:04 am
Alright, now a black hole is a good idea. I can't believe I didn't think of that.