AuthorTopic: Tree problem [Wip]  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Tree problem [Wip]

on: July 11, 2013, 12:17:21 am
Hello! I started practise again with trees and Im actually happy with the foliage texturing but there is one annynoing problem!

In normal  view the green foliage looks okay but when Im flipping it  in horizontal its.. looks so horrible  :'(.. Is this illusion? How I can fix it..? Also does green foliago looks flat?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Tree problem [Wip]

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 03:03:02 am
They look identical to me. Mirrored horizontally, yes. But they're essentially the same.

You've just been staring at it for too long. Ignore it, and continue.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 03:36:51 am
Definitely an illusion.
When you mirror it the brain sees it as something new, as if you're looking at it for the first time.
It's like when you walk around looking into a mirror, suddenly your own home looks very unfamiliar and strange..

I think it looks good so far though!

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 03:43:57 am
I have always had this problem. I use a mirror a lot because I tend to draw things tilted and it corrects that.
Even in pixel art I have this same problem.
But, honestly to me and to the posters here neither looks worse than the other.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:43:19 pm
Thank you guys.. This helped me a lot.. and gave me a more motivation to finish it.. I was very depressed about this because I worked a lot of hours with this tree...  I would not want to do this again.. Maybe its looks alright when Im finish it?

Now I changed the colors...  The ground colors look a alot like the foliage colors.. should  I change it for different green? So the tree stand out more?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 07:33:09 am

That's really a nice tree starting. Maybe I'd just make the top a little lower (see the ghost ellipse at the top).
As for the colors, The one with "same tint as the grass" would imho work very well as level borders, non-interactive, tree. The other one (original colors) stands out more, so I'd use it if I'd want the player to notice the tree as one having some special feature. The shall-I-use-my-pegasus-boots tree.

Is the "pacman mouth" effect on the right (on the original-colors-tree) intentional ?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:34:45 am by PypeBros »