AuthorTopic: [WIP] Tileset and some things.  (Read 6809 times)

Offline torcado194

• View Profile

[WIP] Tileset and some things.

on: July 09, 2013, 08:06:25 pm
Hello everybody!
I'm new to this forum. I have never joined a random forum before, but this community, from the looks of it, seems very friendly and informative!
I read the rules and looked at a few topics, and I would like some of you thoughts on my works or whatever i decide to put here.

I am an aspiring game programmer and pixel artist. Although I would like to be much better.
I began doing pixel art because I loved art and i was completely terrible at any kind. I am very technical and math-driven I guess you could put it. I tried out pixel art and have been learning how to improve ever since. Though it's taking a while.

As a side note: I cannot stand Anti-aliasing (from me drawing with it, not others using it). It bugs me so much and screws with my mind. I think it looks awesome when used right on other people's pieces but my mind refuses to do it on one of my own pieces.

Usually it is very hard for me to get into the right mood to be able to make any piece of pixel art. And when I do I rarely seem entirely pleased with what I end up with.
So here is just a tileset for the game I'm working on:

(32x32)

The first one is the original. I did that one a while ago and i felt pleased with it for once. The second one is just a recolor that is for like an underground cave.

I don't really know what theme I was going with here.. But I wanted something that really felt like my own style and still looked good.

Obviously it isn't completely finished. There are no "edge rocks" for the right or bottom sides, and there are no inner corner tiles for the bottoms.

I have other textures, like enemies and guns and characters, but this is the only tileset as of now. (just for this project I mean)
So just ask if you want to see anything else.

I would like your input! I hope this proves to be a good community and forum :D 
Thanks!

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Re: [WIP] Tileset and some things.

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 11:00:02 pm
Hello,
Maybe you should post a mockup with the tileset, because a tileset alone can be a bit too abstract and refrain people from submitting ideas or feelings about the drawing. That being said, you may have some ongoing clashing lines (it clearly relates to your AA, sorry ;)), especially when you draw highlights very close to shadows, in this case I think AA is needed, though it's less noticeable in your blue set because the reduced contrast helps diminishing those clashing values effect.

On the shaping topic, I think those rocks look a bit flat, you could spice up things adding more volume to your rocks and boulders, I know it's not easy but when you grasp this "shape instead of pattern" concept, things tends to get better, even if there will always be this gap between the drawing in your head and the one on screen, thinking volume/3D/shape helps to reduce the gap.

Offline torcado194

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:16:12 pm
Thanks for the reply! here's a snippit from the game:

(the game is at 2x resolution)

I agree with your opinion on how the rocks look "flat". I could try to fix that by adding more of the secondary highlights and doing some dithering.

And as for the clashing, I couldn't really get it to look right without having the rocks start and stop against each other, or just be drawn against each other. So I thought I needed the highlights right against the shadows.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:25:03 am
This quick edit shows what I meant with clashing values, let's call them jaggies as it's a more convenient term in this case:

And this one is for the volume, though you can bring in much more volume than what I've done. To help materializing volume in your pixels, you can also think of how the weight of each of your rocks will affect surrounding rocks in terms of light and shadow.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:28:54 am by Anarkhya »

Offline torcado194

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:28:23 am
wow that actually really helps! Thanks a lot and i totally understand what you are saying.

I might have some trouble when i get to adjacent rocks, but I'll see how i do
:D

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:33:25 am
All right, glad it helps a bit, get those rocks done now, draw them until you can feel their weight in your hand ,)

Offline torcado194

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 04:01:58 am
UPDATE!  ;D
http://i.imgur.com/gFFrI07.png
(fixed some tile continuity)

Here's what i have so far! I'd appreciate any further feedback!

I feel pretty proud of what i accomplished. I feel like i may have overdone it a little at parts with the dithering, and i think I could add even more small stones in between the main ones to help keep it from looking as flat.

Also at some points you can tell where the tiles start and end, but i can touch that up a little. It's not too bad, and the dithering helps make it look like out of place pixels aren't as accidental. If that makes sense.

Thanks a lot for the help!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:15:06 am by torcado194 »

Offline malifer

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 04:44:54 am
that last tile sample reminds me of a closeup shot of dragon skin.

Offline torcado194

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 04:46:26 am
haha wow you're kinda right. I never saw that

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 09:11:12 am
Good job with the anti-flatness measures ,)
I see your new tileset as a sideview one now, where your first one kinda look topview.