AuthorTopic: A guy shooting  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

A guy shooting

on: July 08, 2013, 06:27:48 pm

I just started my first paid work after putting it off for years (now I really need the money), but inevitably ran into the obstacle of sucking at drawing people, a terrible condition I've lived with my whole life. So this is more about the figure than the animation. The pose is okay and most of the body isn't terrible, but the real problem is the head and trying to fit some kind of recognizable face shape in an area that small, rather than a fleshy blob with half a coconut on top of it.

It's supposed to be an RPG perspective although I'm definitely cheating in favor of a side view, but with relatively realistic proportions a more accurate 3/4 view looks pretty goofy (long arms and stumpy legs) so it's an acceptable sacrifice. Plus it looks fine in action.

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Re: A guy shooting

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 03:15:32 am
gun gets a bit rubbery looking, other then that looks pretty good to me, maybe a bit or shading tweaks

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:54:10 am
I like the animation. The splotchy fire effect doesn't look all that realistic, but it's appealing! The head looks recognizable enough, what do you want the guy to look like? Redneck? Young? Old? Etc. I gave it a try, ended up having kind of a lego-hairdo. Oh well.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 07:45:46 pm
Those two things were the first ones that came to my mind as well, wobbly gun and muzzle flash that splashes.
I think it's ok to leave the face a mystery at this resolution.

There are quite a few single pixels, ErekT combined them into a cluster on the leg. But there are still a few more, but not all of them look noisy.
Also, the hair on ErekT's edit look more like a leather cap due to how uniform it is and the clear separation from the face.