AuthorTopic: GR#134 - Dark Interior Achitecture Background - Sideview  (Read 17027 times)

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

background for a game. wip. any comments/criticism would be greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 05:02:59 pm by Gizmonicgamer »

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] Dark interior architecture background

Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 01:23:08 am
the pillars are a bit too light and read as the same depth as the stairs

other then that *drools*

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 07:36:26 am

the pillars are a bit too light and read as the same depth as the stairs
Which you could fix without affecting the lightness of the pillars, btw.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 03:39:06 pm
When you gonna make this game man? You've been making these backgrounds for years! Really solid stuff as always. all I can suggest is more change in the variation tiles to make things less mechanical. Of course you're often doing architectural stuff it seems, where it's easier to fall into that.

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 04:47:42 pm
Candyman & Pypebros:

I opted to adjust the brightness and shading a little bit rather than add a detail like a railing; that adds more of a divide in depth than i want to have, as ideally the stairs should be only directly in front of the pillars behind it. I may still make the pillars darker but that's something I'm going to worry about when I've made some more progress. Similarly, I might edit the bottom part entirely to make some stronger shadows under the second floor and behind the two rows of pillars.

Ryumaru: Long time no see, haha. I've rebooted it a couple times since then and I've been working on getting my art abilities where I want them to be first. By mechanical, do you refer to tiling repetition, or do you mean the nature of the shapes?

In any case, I've got an update here.

I might be making the part above the "hole" something else entirely. Maybe something framed by columns with a sort of enclave in between them.

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 11:07:11 pm
the bit just below the empty space is a bit too repetitive
and uh... *drools again*

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 10:49:35 am
I also do think that there is not enough foreground/background contrast, I'm throwing in a bit of Castlevania to illustrate:

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 04:22:20 am
I essentially finished it. I should note, this background is also a mine for tiles so it doesn't exactly represent a completed set-piece.

+++++++++different versions++++++++++++

It's been a while since I touched a lot of it, and I think I've kind of gotten used to some of the areas, so I'm not sure how the foreground/background contrast is working out right now. I might go back and alter that and give it some stronger shadows on the bottom half and maybe darken the pillars slightly. I don't want this to be quite as stark as Symphony of the Night in its contrast (although that's certainly a big influence and I appreciate the screenshots to illustrate your point) but I think I can probably work a little bit more towards that kind of level of things?

I appreciate the C+C from everyone, and would definitely appreciate some more as well.  :)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 07:10:00 am
I note varied hues in those castlevania screenshot, with purple-but-still-dark areas and copper details.
I note also strong value difference between positive and negative space to guide the gameplay. (you got something alike with your light line, but it could imho be safely extended to one light brick)
Imho, this is lacking in your mockup, and gives it an "all black and white" feeling.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 09:17:33 am
I admit that the positive/negative contrast in these SOTN shots are a bit extreme, with this in mind, I tried to modify your BG while keeping your FG  unchanged in my edit (but I made a rough FG selection so watch out for unwanted colors). I used color curves but basically I changed saturation/contrast/color shift in some places.

And keep in mind that the forum's actual colors renders everything dark duller than it is, this is critical in this dark interior situation where dark shades are close to each other in value.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:21:27 am by Anarkhya »