AuthorTopic: [WIP] Warrior Portrait  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Chantraine

• ôヮô
    • View Profile
    • @ deviantArt

[WIP] Warrior Portrait

on: June 30, 2013, 07:36:59 pm
'Ey guys, forum noob here. I'm currently undertaking a small personal game-making project for fun. Last night I created a small dialogue portrait for a combat trainer NPC:

I'm mostly happy with it but something just feels off about him. I'm not sure if it's the skin palette, the helmet, both, or something else. I'm hoping others might be able to identify the problem. At some point I'd also like to decorate his fur mantle with a dusting of black leopard spots. I've never tried animal print fur before so any advice is appreciated as well.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:40:49 pm by Chantraine »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Warrior Portrait

Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:43:29 pm
APPROACHING CRITBAAAAARF

INITIATE CRITBARF.NOW=TRUE
-nice interesting stylized cartoony face, I like it
-metal helm not shiny enough/needs some specular action, makes no sense it's nose guard doesn't cover nose/helm appears to be partially unseated from head - too much forehead visible
-stylize cheap pragmatic circular border with decorative elements indicative of a warrior (skulls/weapons/coat of arms, regal
-fluffy white fur stuff is a cheap cop-out for avoiding detailing his upper chest which should be used to better indicate his warrior status, looks like a cozy down jacket, the man really needs some leather straps and chainmail (like back neck cover)/iron plating/rivets/spikes/enemy body part trophies/broadsword sticking in sheath strapped over shoulder
-transparent bg? this guys needs something sturdy and structural behind him like part of the soldier barracks he sleeps in or stone block castle wall
//CRITBARF

Offline Nmb910

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Enemby

Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:12:09 am
^agreed with most of the things up there.

There is really odd detailing on the right side of his face(the darker part) not sure if that is stubble to just irregular shading.

Deeper shadow on his neck would be great, considering his chin seems to jut forward a considerable amount.

Also there's two slits on his left eye, which looks really really odd if you look at it specifically.

I really like how you drew the fur.

Offline Chantraine

• ôヮô
    • View Profile
    • @ deviantArt

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 11:53:54 pm
Oh man, it smells like someone critbarfed in here...

Thank you both for your input! I've implemented your suggestions and here is the updated version:

- Tried a more realistic helmet design as per Mathias' suggestion. Incidentally the added coverage hides the parts of the face Nmb said looked awkward.

- Experimented with armor design and shading. Limited the complexity because I want it to translate easily into the in-game sprite, but perhaps this better befits a war-hardened veteran?

- Cleaned up the neck area.

Next up is a background and jazzing up the border, though I'm still open to any C+C on what's already been done in the meantime.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:08:59 am by Chantraine »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 07:18:07 am
Despite stylisticly protruding, I still have the feeling that there's something off with his jaws.

- -

If it's really as angular as you depict, then shading should be adapted accordingly.
I interprete the shadow area below the jaw as the strap holding the helmet. Yet, it shouldn't obscure the jaw.