AuthorTopic: Help me complete a 2 piece set  (Read 7145 times)

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Help me complete a 2 piece set

on: June 04, 2013, 01:12:24 am
 I've just about finished the first part of a two piece set of digital paintings. I'm not seeking much for critique on that one cause it's already done, I'm way behind and I want to get through the next one much faster. What I seek here are good ideas and help with composition. I will be posting the progress on it as I go starting tonight. I plan on putting my first session in this eve.
I need ideas for the second one which will be the exact same dimensionally. The first one is supposed to be: dark/creepy, closed/claustrophobic, tense/awkward.. while I want the next to be: pure/light, open/free, relaxed/serene.
I'll  post the almost finished one, I just need to add a human heart onto the plate on the table (requested by client, I honestly dislike anything to do with blood [hemophobic]), but  I will do that before printing of course. It's pretty much considered done besides that and touching up some little things throughout the image. Here it is:

And here's the second one so far:
edit: added below.

It's empty, but as I said I'm starting today. I'm thinking; open sky, a meadow, and the female character in a flowing white gown maybe looking out into the distance.
Please give me some ideas.. I had almost foreseen the previous image as it is; I had plenty of ideas I used.. but with this one I'm completely uncertain about what kind of look I want. I'd like it, as I mentioned, to match yet balance out the other image with the opposites mentioned above.. open, free, serene etc. Thinking about using a lot of Cyan, blue and green.. similar to what you see out the right window in the previous image. Let me know what you think. I will continue to update as I go.
I want to keep this second one pretty simple as well.. Help me achieve simple yet effective.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:26:52 am by |||| »

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: Help me complete a 2 piece set

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:25:41 am
Session one: not really sure about this at all yet;  seems a little plain (is it the colours?)...
 I'm trying to just get a layout down 1st:
Deleted for space.. see blow.
I think the background may need to be smaller I'd like a full body character in the foreground.
 I might just completely scrap it.. getting new ideas but really nothing solid. :-[
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:26:27 am by |||| »

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:03:07 pm
Ok I think I'm going to scrap that last one.. I still want something open and light..
Thinking about maybe having something in the foreground like the porch of a house.. so the aspect of the previous image lingers a bit more.
Oh how I need ideas.. I guess this kind of thing isn't appropriate for this site. Does anyone know of a site I could post this for critique? I posted a WIP at pixel joint a while ago of a digital painting (something actually game related)and got zero feedback. I figured I'd have better luck here but then I realized this isn't even game related.
But any ideas or feedback or suggestions of other places for such thing is appreciated.. I've been into pixel art for a while now but happened to land some digital painting gigs.. I'm pretty new to it though.

Edit/Update:
Here are some updated ideas; a sketch leading to mock ups:

What should I put in the sky?  A monstrous angel? I have to really think about that but at least I'm going somewhere with an idea (I hope).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 06:20:46 am by |||| »

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 11:29:52 am
A new mock-up; here's a new idea.. I think I will go with something close to this:

Help me get this right.. before I really start detailing.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 04:08:21 am
Hold on, are those white lines supposed to be your perspective grid? Shouldn't they all converge on the same point then?

What's going in this last one? What's the overall "feeling" supposed to be?

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 08:46:13 am
Hold on, are those white lines supposed to be your perspective grid? Shouldn't they all converge on the same point then?

What's going in this last one? What's the overall "feeling" supposed to be?
I don't know Mathias ( thank you for the reply :)).
The feeling would ideally be mostly uplifting but not wholly so.   I want there to be some ambiguousness  to it. But the intended  overall feeling that ought to be educed is of  post catastrophic relief; in the female at least.
She's seeing the 3 beings gravitate from the sky yet the man in the mock-up doesn't cause he's caught up with money.. ephemeral.. maybe even obsolete.
 I'm not sure if I even like that idea actually :-\.
I would appreciate any advice on this. Hopefully I can get a better hold on perspective and other aspects as I continue. At least with my  current situation I will have plenty of time to ruminate on these things before I can really begin. It may be awhile but I will update again after some consideration on perspective.
If anyone has suggestions I will be grateful to see them in the mean time..

There are various little fixes I need to get to on the 1st one as well and I'm slowly getting there. For now my major problem is clear vision (besides perspective).
I will definitely keeps tabs on this before advancing much; so again constructive critique is appreciated. I say this as I'm attacked by a mosquito horde in the only available free internet spot available to me...

will finish and listen when I am back in civilization.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 12:55:19 am
(BUGGER, missed your reply! sorry)

Hehe, not in civilization anymore? Attack mosquitos. Lack of interweb access!? ZO NOE

Hmmm ok . . . Rather than give you specific crits, I think it wiser of me to instead give you these 3 pieces of adviceness, in lieu of this whole thread :

1) Perspective. Just practice it some. Find some tutorials. Evolve your understanding a little. Don't kill yourself or anything. And don't go off a "perspective learning quest" tangent either. Just try to glean a little improvement as you go and apply it in your work. But stop ignoring this deficit in your skillset. Level it up!

2) Get your concept straight BEFORE you start something sizable. If you have mental block and don't have any ideas you like, do not embark on a new, ambitious piece, because throughout it you'll have new/better ideas (since the concept was never solid to begin with) and you'll backtrack, trying to change it/improve it - undoing and redoing your hard work. This is very frustrating and ultimately kills your motivation, and before you know it, you have yet another WIP gathering dust. Gaahhh I hate that!

3) Don't underestimate the time investment stuff takes. Be realistic. When you start something new, assume you're going to be staring at it for a long time. Better be sure you like it and that it's something you really want to do. You have to be able to imagine it complete and actually liking what you see, in your mind's eye. Nobody is going to make you finish it. It's completion relies on your self-motivation. Don't shoot yourself in the foot at the get-go!

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 05:56:31 pm by Mathias »

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 07:31:27 pm
(BUGGER, missed you reply! sorry)

Hehe, not in civilization anymore? Attack mosquitos. Lack of interweb access!? ZO NOE

I wasn't able to stand the mosquitoes combined with typing on touch-screen etc. etc... So I've only just now checked back since. But I am back in the civilized world for a week. I'm going to take time to study up on perspective tonight and I'm going with the worm's eye view.. looking back at the mock-up.. I like the vastness that potentially brings (if done correctly). It should be simpler composition-wise too (and more 'open' to compliment/balance the 1st- more claustrophobic one painting).
Thank you again very much Mathias.