AuthorTopic: [WIP] Some quick tiling work  (Read 3967 times)

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

[WIP] Some quick tiling work

on: June 22, 2013, 05:51:43 pm
C+C please.

I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [WIP] Some quick tiling work

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:22:35 am
All that black really reads like a big hole seen from 2D-Zelda perspective, imho.
Having those dark art line for your rocks doesn't help defining their volume, I'm afraid. You'd better use your darkest tint for shadows.

The path way on the top (that's a pathway, right ?) gets very close to pillow-shading, although using only 2 colours.

Offline NightCabbage

• View Profile
    • Cabbynode Games

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 05:59:09 am
Pretty good start :)

I like where it's going.

I agree with Pype, in that the lines around the brown rocks are too dark/contrasting.

Also I think that the rocks look too flat, and need some detail in themselves, so they don't look too cartoony.

Should look pretty cool when you're done though, I'd like to see your next version! :D

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 06:05:27 am
All that black really reads like a big hole seen from 2D-Zelda perspective, imho.
Having those dark art line for your rocks doesn't help defining their volume, I'm afraid. You'd better use your darkest tint for shadows.

The path way on the top (that's a pathway, right ?) gets very close to pillow-shading, although using only 2 colours.
maybe it is a 2D-Zelda style hole?
if so, the hole itself is done well

anyway
the tops of the rocks could use some darkening and texture (in addition to the things said above)

once you get to your lighter colors it becomes quite cartoony, which clashes with the dark rocks just below

what we really need is what you were going for to give you a better direction to go

please continue, this could look so gorgeous with a bit more effort =]

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 01:35:24 pm
Here is a bit of an update, looking more like I want it to be:
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 02:09:41 pm
I'd lay off using that dark grey for an outline on every rock, only use outlines to emphasize the most important details, besides that you just imply the details. Also, your light source is pretty inconsistent. On the rocks on the top the light is coming from above, the rocks on the left the light is coming from the left and the rocks on the right the light is coming from the right.