AuthorTopic: First Attempt at Pixel art  (Read 10766 times)

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Re: First Attempt at Pixel art

Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 02:31:59 pm
Its a lot better but you are still leaving out how the tree's canopy is shaped like a giant fat cone, the clusters of leaves on the right should be darker then the ones on the left. Shade it like you would a cylinder, then add the detailed shading you have now ontop. Sort of like this, which i stole from someone else's help for a tree thread. .

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 02:25:05 pm
Updated the tree to contain 2 levels of shading on the trunk, have a more spherical shading to the tree's overall leaves and added a shadow to further show the light source

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 03:29:23 pm
Now it seems like the leafs are a little under defined  :-X but the shading looks a lot better.

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 03:37:51 pm
Now it seems like the leafs are a little under defined  :-X but the shading looks a lot better.

Actually think the new one is an improvement...
the leaves blend together to actually form like a treetop,
rather than separate bushes clumped together at the top of the tree.

My criticism mostly lies with the trunk.
It could use some pruning on the roots (shouldn't stretch that far out),
Maybe a different color too, the light brown really throws it off.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 04:52:16 am
It could use some pruning on the roots (shouldn't stretch that far out),
I've seen many trees with roots similar to that so I disagree that you NEED to trim their length.
Whats wrong though is they're all a little round at the end.
It would be ok if 1 or 2 of them were like that but we should be seeing the rest blend into the ground more.
You can also try to make at least 1 of the roots go in and back out of the ground.

With roots like that, we should also see some stronger definition of the forms blending into the trunk.
Start with some higher contrast blocking in of highlight, mid-tone and shadow (with optional backlight).
Try not to just do a line of the brightest pixels along the of those roots on the left, rather use a bit darker line and bring your highlight to the point that marks the highest point, since THAT is where the light would be most seen.
Vary how close your highlight is too the shadow (width of the mid-tone) to further define your forms.
You should feel comfortable with the forms based off these 3 shades only.
THEN tone down the contrast accordingly and start blending with some extra colours.

Again, you can vary how much blending you use to make the shapes more interesting, so some bits have a sharper edge and some are rounder.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 11:28:32 am
Nice foliage! It's come a long way :)

I think the trunk could use more contrast and less pixel noise. That kind of texture detail will only hurt overall clarity. Better to use your colors to define more overall shapes. I also reduced the colors, it's easier to handle that way.