AuthorTopic: First Attempt at Pixel art  (Read 10765 times)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Re: First Attempt at Pixel art

Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 07:46:34 am
the only really big step in the edit is where he changes the foliage for the first time.  Everything else you should be able to follow the edit.  How he changed the foliage, for that I suggest studying photos of trees, or looking at real trees and learning to simplify the shapes.  Alot of people do the make trees out of balls thing, but trees dont actually look like that.  Sure, you can see different clumps of leaves, but they are secondary to the whole shape of the foliage, and they arent enclosed isolated shapes.  Here I took a random photo of a tree and applied some filters and color reduced it so you can see how you can simplify the shapes.  If you can learn how to do that, then start there, and the rest is texturing/ detailing, which is documented pretty well in the gif above.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 10:42:44 am
@Vakinox: about half an hour, I don't applied any pixel level detailing. How I did it is exactly displayed in the gif.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:15:33 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 02:55:40 pm
Wow, that was incredibly impressive. I see you went with a palette change which makes it look fantastic, do you have a standard palette you use or did you generate it from a base brown and base green?

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 07:00:58 pm
I started with a few shades and developed the palette over the process. for demonstrating purposes I recolored the first steps with the final palette.

I don't have a standard palette, I create the colors just how I need them.
It might be a good idea for you to start out with Dawnbringers palette, because you won't have to think about colors and could concentrate on the other art aspects first.

DB 16
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12795

DB 32
http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16247
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:18:07 pm by Crow »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 05:09:34 am
Continued reworking the tree heres the current status of it, will probably put some more work into the leaves then move on to the bark

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 07:07:12 pm
Updated with some texturing on the bark, added a knot in the wood, and did some more shading for the leaves

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 07:31:03 pm
this is looking much better but the trunk isn't matching the foliage. the foliage looks much more realistic. the high contrast, saturated colors, and black outlines on the trunk make it stand out. the black lines in particular I would eliminate, and also try to make the texture conform of the contour of the tree and vary a bit instead of a random uniform texture. pushing those browns closer to gray would probably help too.

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 04:46:44 am
Trying a new colour and style for the trunk

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 12:20:11 pm
While your leaves look nice, they don't show where the light is coming from. You've fallen into the pitfall that many people fall into when making a tree. You shade each individual leaf but you omit shading the whole canopy of the tree. This also occurs on your trunk, you have shaded the details of the trunk like the ruts in the bark, but you haven't shaded the actual shape of the trunk, a cylinder. Don't forget to include cast shadows on the trunk from the leaves, and shadows from the roots onto the trunk behind it.

Offline Altourus

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 02:15:45 pm
Updated to include more shading as was suggested above by Mr. Fahrenheit