AuthorTopic: *Feudal-Style Japan Tileset* *WIP*  (Read 3650 times)

Offline lifehunter

• View Profile

*Feudal-Style Japan Tileset* *WIP*

on: June 13, 2013, 10:10:32 pm
Hello! I am pretty novice when it comes to pixel art, I mainly can only do still tiles & tilesets. I am a programmer and I don't want to rely on finding artists to help me with my projects so I try myself. I want to post here for critique and to maybe get advice on improving my pixel art overall.

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Re: *Feudal-Style Japan Tileset* *WIP*

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:39 pm
There's perspective conflict on the buildings. On the top-center piece, you have diagonals that are conflicting with the bottom walls they're overlapping.

Probably be best just to remove the diagonals all together, cutting it off at the vertical.

. . .

Great job on the detail, but at this level requires a great deal of work.

However if you feel comfortable with it, then stick with it (just warning).

Shadow from the tiles onto the wall is needed, and from the wall onto the grass.

The grass tiles are also very busy compared to everything else, and reveal tile outlines (diamond diagonal) if you look closely.

. . .

I'll try to do a bit of work on the sprite for you, and get back if I can.

Novice here too, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Offline lifehunter

• View Profile

Re: *Feudal-Style Japan Tileset* *WIP*

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:38:52 pm
I really hope it isn't a bad thing to post again without an actual update to the piece, I think I got in trouble for that over at another forum before. If it is I am sorry but I am a little confused!

I really need to figure out a way to fix the perspective problems but keep the diagonals because they are very prominent in the era that I am emulating.

some examples of what I am trying to achieve:

http://www.japantravelinfo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/osakajo-castle.jpg
http://www.gojapango.com/japan_picture/albums/upload/hiroshima/miyajima/itsukushima_shrine/normal_IMG_1340.JPG

maybe it is the front & top that actually need to change perspective? Or any other ideas besides getting rid of the diagonals because I feel they are important. TY for responding/helping!

edit:

I played with the front and top because I feel like what was actually happening is the front and top looked like a total different style. I agree with the noise of the grass, that was actually made for me a looong time ago. I look forward to experimenting with "simpler" grass very soon.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:08:38 am by lifehunter »