AuthorTopic: Side-view RPG sprites  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Side-view RPG sprites

on: June 10, 2013, 04:53:55 pm
Hey guys, long time no see.

I'm at a point with my art that I don't usually ask for comments anymore, because I can self-critique sufficiently to get it to where I want. For these sprites though, they evade my attempts at making them shine and I don't know why.

I can tell the palette is bland and I can tell I have confusing volumes and all that, but I can't seem to fix it. I know the anatomy on the naked version is off. I feel like I could fix that myself, though I haven't attempted to yet.

I've made a sample animation too, which is fine, I think. Feel free to critique though, I'm sure it can be made better. I know the light source turns around with the character. I'm not sure if that needs fixing or not. What do you think?

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Re: Side-view RPG sprites

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:03:40 pm
The animation could use some more snap to it, if you know what I mean. Maybe a smear and the drawback from the kick is a little slow.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:27 pm
The animation could use some more snap to it, if you know what I mean. Maybe a smear and the drawback from the kick is a little slow.
You are correct about the smear, that would do wonders. As for the timing, I'd postpone editing that anymore, until I can feel how sluggish it is in-game.

It's a Muay Thai high kick kinda thing BTW, which means that the drawback is rather slow. Probably even slower than in my animation, but I'm already worried that the animation might be too slow for game purposes.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I go over it, I'll add some smear (or rather,  a white flash maybe).

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 07:34:32 am
For the armour, try being a bit more selective about where you put your highlight trims such as limited to helmet and shoulders, and possibly some emblem on his chest plate.
Don't try to highlight every piece of armour either, just block in the main volumes then just add very few highlights on shoulders, helmet etc.
I think you should add some hue to that grey too.