AuthorTopic: [OPP] Cave set  (Read 97179 times)

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [OPP] Cave set

Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 08:57:23 pm
Not bad.
I see you've created obvious perspective platforms - the top, walkable surface of the platforms is visible, as if the camera is slightly tilted down. So far though, all walkable tiles are pretty much straight-on profile platforms.
If these tiles are all meant to be used together, should they all be one or the other, and not a mixture?

When I see those bg tiles, I immediately think Cave Story. If they're not lifted directly, they look like it, to me.

I've pretty much used the image above by A3um, as the reference. Over at pixel joint forums, A3um's grass tile ended up being adopted , which as you can see above suggests more of a perspective. Those tiles do use a flat colour at the top, which I'll try to incorporate into the next iteration.

As for the background image, I've just had a look and I think we're OK. Similar idea, but different.

Edit:
Something like this maybe?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:19:07 pm by Jim16 »

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 04:54:20 pm
update:

I have the full tileset above in the works to, which will probably be done in about a day or two.

Offline DDR

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: August 07, 2013, 06:29:36 am
Oh man, that looks nice. I'll hold off for the final cut, though, if it's OK... I just don't like moving the rectangle definitions if things move in the picture. :P

Is the red spider for carrying the player?

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: August 07, 2013, 09:34:38 am
Is the red spider for carrying the player?
Yeah it is, I figure that once a lava tileset is made, we could use that spider as a moving platform on lava. I'm still working on the design though, and putting off animating it (so many legs!).

Edit:

Some lazy tile flipping at the bottom, which I'll get to fixing at some point. A lot of the rock formations could use some care and attention, but at the least the tiles tile seamlessly (or at least the combinations I've tried) and you'll have something to play around with in the game engine .
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 11:50:29 am by Jim16 »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 03:49:15 pm
Break from the tiles, but this helps:

Did character edits of the player guy and tribesman, the latter a bit rushed. Added more depth to both, via major stance and shading tweaks, but hopefully it still conforms to the style if I get it right.

Traveler: emphasis on big cranium, small jaw construction. Features and shading based around that. Outfit didn't make sense, gave him more explorer-y aviator goggles and gloves which should be easier to animate. Less awkward stance. Reduced the color scheme and colors.

Tribesman: head structure was influenced by moai but that was mostly destroyed in the end. Looked to this thread for pointers on shading skin, hence the gray. Again unifying colors, dark brown, grays and dark yellow, pink ears and nose on head draw attention.

Both have more specular control. That is, see the top of the traveler guy's hat? Mostly a flat color. Start with 2 shades and keep the highlights small. You want the colors to read as much as than the lighting. But you also want the materials to read, so in non-mattes, metals and the like this rule can be broken. Look up reference and think about how to simplify it is the big rule of thumb here, and in general with these new sprites.

Outlines are not a 1px line all around, usually darker line in shadow, lighter line around the light, then no line/minimal selout where the light hits. Compare the wildcat to the donkey sprite.

In the meantime here's a weapons cargo donkey. With tweaking, could be a horse.

Does not conform as well to the style, bit complex/odd in shadows and handling of perspective, but it looks solid and has direction construction-wise. Other test sprites are in the works, foremost NPC trader and villagers.

What I've done is evidently a bit harder to reach. I'll be happy to edit other contributions though, or edit mine so we can break even. Will be making a few more assets too, hopefully cave related, definitely background tiles.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:00:39 am by pistachio »

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: August 12, 2013, 10:30:04 pm
Pistachio, those are awesome. I'll wait to see what the other guys are saying, but I'm in support of the increase in standard. I think it's what we need, like a kick in the backside.

Was Kinda in the middle of that, but my wacom tablet seems be going crazy, and is really pissing me off  :ouch: But hey ho, tomorrows another day.

Offline guima1901

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: August 13, 2013, 07:04:29 am
Jim i hope you don't mind me completing a sprite of your... you can ignore my version if you want i just wanted to test if i could mimic this new style.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:11:55 am by guima1901 »

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: August 13, 2013, 08:03:23 am
Dude, you should know by now I don't ;) This is a process of elimination, make as many edits on anyone's art as you want. It's a great start, some of the head I think could use a bit more of work. I might dive into that later today.

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9092.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: August 13, 2013, 08:57:30 am

Did character edits of the player guy and tribesman, the latter a bit rushed. Added more depth to both, via major stance and shading tweaks, but hopefully it still conforms to the style if I get it right. Messed with/normalized some proportions and the shading was redone around that. Gotta edit this post tomorrow to talk about either one in any significant detail.

In the meantime here's a weapons cargo donkey. With tweaking, could be a horse.

Does not conform as well to the style, bit complex/odd in shadows and handling of perspective, but it looks solid and has direction construction-wise. Other test sprites are in the works, foremost NPC trader and villagers.

What I've done is evidently a bit harder to reach. I'll be happy to edit other contributions though, or edit mine so we can break even. Will be making a few more assets too, hopefully cave related, definitely background tiles.

Awesome work Pistachio!
They look amazing and I'd immediately wish for everything to look great like this. But I am not sure if it would be a good idea to change...
I find it both important that the quality of the project stays reasonably high and that many people will be able to opt in and create tiles and sprites without decreasing the quality.
On top of that we already have some animations for both.

Speaking of which, DDR was talking about how cool it would be if our black hero had some attacks. Fist, magic fireball, swords or guns I don't know but it is up to you to choose! Also a lack of black heroes in games is a good reason to have this guy in our project :)

So back on the style question: What do you guys think about the style? How can the project stay accessible best?
I think the donkey would definitely fit in as it is btw :)

Offline guima1901

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: August 13, 2013, 01:35:18 pm
I think that this new style adds a lot of appeal to the game and that it is probably worth trying to pursue it.

As for the black hero being the hero I am not against as long as the sprite fits the role of hero. I don't think that the old sprite fit as it was, but I can imagine playing with this improved version.
It is just a pity that we aren't using the traveler, maybe we could have some co-op between those characters and the player would switch during diferent situations to use another kind of skillset.