AuthorTopic: [OPP] Cave set  (Read 97201 times)

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9092.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [OPP] Cave set

Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 04:08:49 pm
That background tile is much nicer indeed! I tried to base my original (can't find it anymore) cave background also on Cave Story, but this is much better! Perhaps the dark lines need to go though!

In other news, the OPP has a wiki now! You can find all the latest versions of all artwork there too (the cave stuff not yet, I will change that soon!)

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 09:18:03 am
I modified your cave background tile to be less harsh. Also some alt color palettes.
How do you guys like these?

Also I finally uploaded all the tiles to the WIKI
Let's get this set to look like this one soon!

@Grimsane: Sorry, I did not include your ruins, they do not match the style guide so well. Ruins would be welcome though!

To get some life in here, is anybody up for drawing some lava? Also I would be interested to see some monsters in cave land! There is a monster that could use some animation here:

EDIT:

I made some mockup with the BG, and although it looks nice it is also a bit distracting. What do you guys think? Should there be a background image or a flat color?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:42:18 am by hapiel »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 01:49:05 pm
I made some mockup with the BG, and although it looks nice it is also a bit distracting. What do you guys think? Should there be a background image or a flat color?

Well, Imho, a flat background wouldn't be very exciting in a game. Now, given the palette restriction it seems like we don't have the proper colours around to provide convincing, readable background anyway. But the same happened somehow with the "jungle" set, where there's a placeholder blue screen. I guess the best approach might be to consider the background as "out of the scope of the OPP", and let people working on game X using OPP pick their own background picture with the palette they want.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 10, 2013, 03:04:43 pm
Terribly sloppy edit. Taking some contrast out of the background. Not sure if it works well, though.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 06:02:08 pm

. But the same happened somehow with the "jungle" set, where there's a placeholder blue screen.

Actually I think the blue screen works very well as 'sky', there is some talk about clouds which could be floating in the background and I specifically hope that there will be many tree elements to fill up a lot of space with! Such as for example the leaf background.
Also, to save effort we are leaving the inner tiles a solid color. It might even look weird to have a background in some parts but a solid color on the foreground ;)

However, I think it is all solved if we go with the tile in Crow's edit! It looks nice and allows sprites to still be readable!

Of course, should some external programmer use these tiles he/she is free to disregard our BG's and pop up one of their own ;)

Offline Nmb910

• Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • Enemby

Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 09:01:13 am
I made some stone/rock walls, probably too noticeable for a background, but whatever. :P

Background/Darker version:

EDIT: So everyone ignores my addition and then subtly doesn't include my tiles in the release. :P
Hurtful, gentlemen.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:14:35 pm by Nmb910 »

Offline DDR

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 08:38:42 pm
Hapiel: I've implemented your mockup. See the engine post on pixeljoint for the download.

I'm afraid I don't have the desaturated background image Crow made yet, though.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 01:12:32 pm
I meant to post this a couple of days ago, but the website was down at 1 in the morning  :sry:

I'll try to finish some of the missing details in this tileset, I would of done it yesterday but was preoccupied all day with a wedding.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:51:28 pm by Jim16 »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 07:14:06 pm
Not bad.
I see you've created obvious perspective platforms - the top, walkable surface of the platforms is visible, as if the camera is slightly tilted down. So far though, all walkable tiles are pretty much straight-on profile platforms.
If these tiles are all meant to be used together, should they all be one or the other, and not a mixture?

When I see those bg tiles, I immediately think Cave Story. If they're not lifted directly, they look like it, to me.

Offline CakeDrake

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 08:44:37 pm
(first post on forum  :) )

I made a wip lava tile, well 2 I should probably turn down the details.

btw I really like the smileys here :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:50:49 pm by CakeDrake »